Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible sound card issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 softwolf

softwolf

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:50 PM

Hi
I have a Dell Inspirion 6000 which has a sound issue. A bout a year ago sound just stopped coming out of the speakers and the same with ear phones. Since then I have reformatted and reinstalled all the appropriate drivers multiple times all to no avail. In fact the only way to hear sound is to connect external speakers via USB. I was wondering if this a sound card issue and if so if an external sound card would be able to correct it. Any help on this topic would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

If it is onboard sound have you double checked the BIOS to be sure it is enabled?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Try the solution Baltboy gave you above.

If this fails to resolve the problem, try looking into your windows sound properties by clicking the speaker icon next to the taskbar clock.

Check all your volume controls to make sure they are active, turned up and not muted.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 softwolf

softwolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

Hey thanks for the help
Baltboy: I checked the bios the audio is enabled

MrBruce1959: There doesn't appear to be anything wrong in the sound properties and the volume is turned on and active.

Any chance that this is just a sound card issue which can be fixed with sound an external sound card?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Hey thanks for the help
Baltboy: I checked the bios the audio is enabled

MrBruce1959: There doesn't appear to be anything wrong in the sound properties and the volume is turned on and active.

Any chance that this is just a sound card issue which can be fixed with sound an external sound card?

Absolutely, you can even get a card that supports features you never had before.

I am not sure which audio card you have now, whether it is on-board or add-on, you will find a newer external add-on card will have the newer Advanced Dolby 5.1 Digital Surround Sound capabilities.

I believe this is what you have in mind and I think this will work out well for you.

Please post back and let us know how things go.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users