Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Open With" Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 verbtex

verbtex

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:31 PM

I have a problem with my computer. Every time I try to open up any .exe file, the computer asks which program I would like to open it up with. I have managed to work around it, but only to open the internet, by trying to open mozilla firefox with mozilla firefox. As funny as that sounds, it is true.

Before this problem started, I had a malware problem. It was a fake XP Security Center (which is fairly new I am assuming, as there aren't any guides to get rid of it. ) I used Super Anti Spyware to help me out. I let it finish the search, and get rid of the fake security center. The Security center didn't allow me to open up the internet, it said that it was infected and that I had to go on the internet unprotected.

Well now, the security center is gone, but this problem appeared. I can't open any .exe files. Which becomes such a pain in the butt, considering I can't even do a system restore now. I would upload a screen shot, but I can't open up paint.

Please help in whatever way possible. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Adam.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

BC Guide, Removal of XP Security Center

As for your .exe situation, you can try the EXE File Association Fix at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm.

Although this is a reliable, trusted fix...it involves editing the registry. As a basic precautionary step, any user should backup the registry before proceeding with any procedure such as an edit.

A good tool to use for such backup is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html.

Louis

Edited to correct bad posting of link :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#3 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:59 PM

I believe hamluis wanted to post this link

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

LOL...in too much of a hurry...thanks, Beenthere :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 verbtex

verbtex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

I attempted to back up the registry per your suggestion, but I can't open up the .exe file to run the back up. Should i still do the exe file fix anyways?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

If you cannot install a program...that's a different issue than inability to run programs already installed.

Inability to install a program...involves new registry entries, nothing that could have been damaged/deleted due to malware which has now been removed.

I suggest you try following the directions for malware removal in the link I posted, since it appears to me that you possibly have not removed all malware impacting your system.

I would also suggest that you follow that effort up with a full scan of your system, using updated/current installed AV program.

If all that fails, I will probably move this to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

Some viruses can prevent installation of new programs they simply block or prevent access to making new registry entries. MSI could be corrupted due to an infection being removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users