Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my hard drive/motherboard failing?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 onedaysoon

onedaysoon

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:42 PM

Hi, I have been having issues that I am afraid might be not good news to the future of my computer.
First, I was having minor issues, such as random and brief 'not responding' issues and very random sound going out but coming back always when I restart. Just to make sure it wasn't any hidden malware I came here. I got the all clear from the malware team here.

The big problem started just a week or 2 ago. I picked up my laptop and for the first time it started growling at me really loud. Scared I shut it down but turned it back on and it would intermitantly growl at me like it was mad and aggitated. (I don't think it was the fan, though wish it was) It has since stopped any growling but now I get random restarts with the 'Blue Screen of Death' each time it randomly restarts itself. I haven't found a ryhme or reason for the random restart/bluescreen. I have had it happen shortly after I start up and I have had it happen after using the computer all day. Though, it is has a daily basis.
The blue screen of death flashes so quickly I can't even get a chance to read it, though I think the errors are different each time. Only twice has the blue screen stayed up and each error was different of the 2 times it stayed up.
The first error I was able to read: NPFS_File_System. The second: irql_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Is it possible I damaged something when I lifted it not long ago?
Is there a way to find out what is causing the problem?

My laptop is a Sony Vaio T-140P. I run Windows XP Pro SP3
The original memory was 512MB but I upgraded to the max 1 GB, last year.

Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:45 PM

Run through the steps given here and post your analysis report:

How to receive help diagnosing Blue Screens and Windows crashes
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 onedaysoon

onedaysoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hi, kind of a dumb question but how do I know if I need the 64 bit or 32 debugger? I figure the 64 but I am not 100%.

Also, I wanted to add that when my computer starts back up and says "Your computer has recovered from a serious error..." and when I send the report to Windows it brings me to a page that says Corrupt - The error file you are trying to send is corrupt and cannot be analyzed.... (something along those lines.)

Thank you!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Righ-click on My Computer and select Properties. What does it say under System in the General tab?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

SP3 was officially released (intended) for Win XP 32 Bit.
So I'm pretty sure you have the 32Bit version of Win XP and need to use the 32Bit debugger.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 25 March 2010 - 08:13 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 onedaysoon

onedaysoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

It doesn't say, that is actually the first place I checked. So I guess I should assume it is 32

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Does it sound like a metal clanking noise?

#8 onedaysoon

onedaysoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

cryptodan, no it didn't. It stopped making the noise now but it was more like a rearing noise. Yeah, hard to explain.:thumbsup:)

#9 onedaysoon

onedaysoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

I need to add that now it is not staying on long enough to do what you mentioned. I try to do something and it restarts a lot sooner than it did before and I can't get far enough :thumbsup:.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

OK I am going to step in and try to help you out onedaysoon.

It is obvious your OS has become corrupted, now the quest we have here is recovering it and getting it back to normal again.

I have to start by thinking along the line, that you have disk errors and we need to work together on fixing those errors.

I need to ask if you what type of media your operating system is on. (The operating system installation media)

The options are:

1--It is on a Sony OEM system repair CD.
2--You have a Floppy disk version "system repair diskette" which boots and looks for the OS installation files on a hidden harddrive partition.
3--Or you have it on a Microsoft Windows XP cdrom.

The repair options we have here depend on what media you have that I listed above. I need to know that answer before giving you any ferther advice.

Oh and one last question, I am looking up your model number at sony's website, I see a model with the model number VGN-T140P is this number on your laptop?

I will keep my eye on this thread for your reply.

Best regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 26 March 2010 - 11:52 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 onedaysoon

onedaysoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

I have the orig. Sony disc but it is at my parents and I prob can't get it for awhile.
I made a CD of system repair last year but I don't think it works right. I think you need an image something for it to work on CD. I also put it on some floppies but my floppy drive is external w/ USB.

About a year ago my computer crashed possibly because of a new driver and Windows update conflict and I wasn't able to get into Windows. I made the CD and floppy disks I just mentioned (on another computer.) I couldn't get the computer to read them on start up even when I changed the boot up.

Anyway, I found if I press F10 on start-up I can get Sony recovery. That is what I did at the time and it wiped out my whole drive and started from the beginning. It was a pain but at the time I couldn't get the repair discs to work.

So, should I just do that again? Or is there a way to get the repair disks to work so I won't wipe everything again?

Yes, that it correct. My laptop is a Sony VGN-T140P.

P.S. So far I can still get in Windows but it just restarts itself after a short while of being on it.

Thank you!

Edited by onedaysoon, 27 March 2010 - 02:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users