Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdBlock for IE8?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

My mom frequently goes on Vietnamese website and there are a lot of flashy annoying ads on the side. Is there any way to block these ads using AdBlock Plus' filters, This Link, and inPrivate Filtering? I've seen one for regular ad's on this site.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22124619-...block-plus-list
It involves writing the filtered websites into xml and importing it into inPrivate Filtering. Can some one do it for the vietnamese one? or any other alternative

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Do no block ads. These ads enable a website earn its running cost. If you disable the ads, you will kill the web site. It is equivalent to stealing.

#3 Wizho

Wizho

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Why not just install Firefox and get Adblock Plus?
It's an add-on and it's free. Firefox is more secure, faster and safer than IE.

I've never seen any ad or pup-up for 3 years now, and I must say it's awful when I use someone else's PC and see all those ads all over the screen.
Give it a try. :thumbsup:

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:49 AM

Do no block ads. These ads enable a website earn its running cost.

I would use an Ad Blocker - The Internet Police will not come to your house and ask if you read all the ads etc. -
There are many infections hidden in advertising (not always deliberate) so my blocker will not show many ads - They just come up as "Internet Explorer cannot " etc - These ads have been deemed "bad" by my operating system - It is like blocking certain sites - I am sure the owners of Xhamster, and similar sites, do not mind me not reading their ads -
My personal response only G@R%@&E -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:39 AM

I use my hosts file to block advertisements from sites, however, I am unable to block anything from doubleclick.com it prevents many sites from streaming audio.

#6 Mike_O

Mike_O

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

It is equivalent to stealing.

No it isn't. What it is equivalent to, is protecting yourself from a significant security threat. Even high profile, reputable sites have recently (albeit unwittingly) served up malware via advertising. They can, and should be blocked with extreme prejudice.

Why not just install Firefox and get Adblock Plus?
It's an add-on and it's free. Firefox is more secure, faster and safer than IE.

I've never seen any ad or pup-up for 3 years now, and I must say it's awful when I use someone else's PC and see all those ads all over the screen.
Give it a try. :thumbsup:

Agree 100%. Firefox + Adblock Plus and you'll forget what ads look like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users