Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop replacement, any ideas?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raff

raff

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hi folks, I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to point me in the direction of a reasonable desktop replacement laptop, (my last one gave up the ghost yesterday and is not worth fixing).

I am looking for a Win 7 machine with 17" screen, dual core, dedicated graphics and wifi enabled. My budget is 600, and I would like a new machine. Looks are not important but I would like to get teh best bang for buck that I can. Must be able to ship to Ireland and the UK.

Thanks in advance.

raff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:12 PM

*bump*

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Well...I'm a new laptop buyer...and I would suggest taking a look at Dell...and then looking at others.

There's never a magical answer...IMO, my decision to buy a laptop was based on nothing more than whim. I don't need a laptop but I wanted one for the few times that I actually travel somewhere. I looked at many, settled on Dell due to lack of interest in the features that all the others seemed to think were selling points.

<<Must be able to ship to Ireland and the UK.>>

Frankly...I don't know how you expect others to research that. It would be easier/smarter to find out from within, as opposed to outside...which is where I suspect most of our viewers are. Maybe that's why no one had responded before me.

Louis

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Here's an option you can consider: Dell Inspiron 17

You will have to stretch your budget by a bit, for a decent configuration.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 26 March 2010 - 08:42 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 Bunnycomman0

Bunnycomman0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505D. Decent graphics, shiny finish. Pretty fast. Picks up fingerprints and smudges like nobody's business though, has poor battery life and gets hellaciously hot. I'm talking about so hot that you can feel it in the keyboard (which lights up!). I don't have one of those fancy attachable fans, though, so your mileage may vary. It's been dropped, sat on accidentally, got rainwater in its screen and case, wouldn't start on that occasion, and yesterday refused to receive power from the power cord. And each and every time it's managed to pull itself back up and keep on going. But I treat my laptop quite harshly compared to most people. Last August it set me back 700 dollars US, so I expect the price has dropped a bit. 4 gigs of Ram, 64 bit AMD 2.30 Ghz dual-core processor, 500gb hard drive. I'm happy with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users