Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 UCJH

UCJH

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hi everyone!

I am trying to figure out computer stuff, and I just updated my computer today...then when restarting it it just kept restarting over and over so I pressed F10 for system recovery...which apparently was a HUGE mistake...it took my computer back to factory settings...losing all my valuable videos and pictures I had yet to backup. PLEASE help me if there is anyway I can get all of those things back! THANK You soooo much!!!

Olivia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

You may be able to retrieve your data (or some of it) with this:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 keveenanderson

keveenanderson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

First of all you will restore your operating system last next restore point and get your computer system as well as before days. If your data is not recover then you install data recovery software through this software you get back all delete data form hard disk and then you will save your data.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

System manufacturer and model?

We can then look at the instructions for using the recovery mechanism installed by the manufacturer.

Some mechanisms save the data files from the previous install, before the recovery/restore mechanism was used.

Louis

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

if he used f-10 chances are it is an HP or Compaq and he used the destructive recovery option. Some dells use f-10 where f-11 is used on most.

A full scale partition recovery tool might work but it would be best to pull the drive and make it a secondary on another system to keep anything from writing over the hidden/deleted files.

I don't know of any system recovery partition that does not give you a warning that your about to delete all your files.

#6 Bremsen

Bremsen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

I was/am having the same issue as the OP and it has now done it twice. HP Pavillion. When booting up, it would get to the Windows boot screen, flash and then reboot again. I also used the F10 recovery option after I could not get windows to boot at all (safe mode or otherwise).

OP, If its just documents you are looking for, they may still be on your C drive. Click on My computer, go to the C drive, Docs and settings. There you will likely see a couple different 'profiles'. I found all my old docs in the old profile. I then backed them up on a separate drive just to be safe.

My issue now is with all the software I had installed. Its all still loaded in the program files, but none of it will start If trying to use the shortcuts, it says "only works for programs installed". If I go to the program file and try to start from there I get "program not installed for current user". I don't want to threadjack so if I'm out of place I will start my own thread. I just feel we are likely having the same issue.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

Bremsen, I suggest you start your own thread.

Although you may see similarities in your situation and that of the OP...I'm willing to bet they are not similar at all in terms of what system, circumstances preceding problem, etc.

Your situation will get proper attention if you do not steal the OP's thread/issues.

Thank you :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 Bremsen

Bremsen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

10-4.

Hopefully she is able to recover her files as I was.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

Appreciated :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users