Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loading Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Conejita2105

Conejita2105

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

I've been currently trying to load software to play games but I keep getting this same error message. The Installshield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. The stub recieved bad data. That same message came up when I tried to load software for a modem I recently purchased. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

-ReD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

This is a long shot but can't hurt. Try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility is provided "as is" to help resolve installation problems for programs that use Microsoft Windows Installer. If you use this utility, you may have to reinstall other programs. Caution is advised

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Conejita2105

Conejita2105
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

When attempting to open the Windows Installer clean-up utility this error message comes up. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. I wasn't running Windows in safe mode so I have no clue what's wrong.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

What is your operating system? If its XP, go to Start>Run and type in sfc /scannow just like that with the space. Thats System File Checker. You might need your XP CD.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users