Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes after 10-15min

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo2u

moomoo2u

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hello,

My computer has recently (since last week) started freezing after 10-15min of being active. I noticed it when playing games, everything would start fine but then the sound would loop (i.e. the last .01 seconds of sound would infinitely loop). At this point I can ctrl+alt+del but then it freezes, and I have to do a hard restart.

Sometimes it will freeze within 10 minutes, sometimes after 15-20

I doubt its a hardware error as my computer is only 2 years old and has never had any problems. that being said if this post needs to be moved or should be put somewhere else, please tell me.

CPU SPECS:

XP pro sp3
intel core2duo e8400, 2000mhz (6x 333)
ASUS P5N72-T Premium
chipset: nvidia nforce 780i SLI
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800GT
Creative AudigySE Sound blaster
HD - Western Digital WDC WD3200AAKS-00B3A (298 GB)
BIOS: ASUS P5N72-T PREMIUM ACPI BIOS Revision 0401 (phoenix bios)
4gb of ram

anything else is irrelevant I think, but ill post it if asked for.

Here's what I've done so far:

- memtest86 7 passes, no errors
- reinstalled gfx card, sound card, and network card drivers
- cleaned out 2 years worth of dust with compressed air cans
- used system restore
- checked the event log, there are some errors but I have no idea what they mean:

1) Hanging application firefox.exe, version 1.9.1.3685, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

2) Hanging application mmc.exe, version 5.2.3790.4136, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

3) The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( JavaQuickStarterService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to open C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\jqs.conf: No such file or directory

4) Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 6.0.2900.5512, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

5) Faulting application wlcomm.exe, version 14.0.8098.930, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0xa0000299.

6) The Java Quick Starter service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1).

7) Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

I've run a stress test with Everest Corporate edition and all the voltage values/temperatures seem ok.

any and all help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:20 AM

Have you moved your sound card lower on the PCI slots? Creative Sound Cards hate being near the graphics port for some odd reason, and are all your drivers updated?

#3 moomoo2u

moomoo2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

its already the farthest away from my GFX card (i'll try reseating them when I get a screwdriver later today).

I also ran sfc /scannow 2-3x and no errors were found.

I'm tempted to just format it :\

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

Remove the sound card and see if it still crashes.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:59 PM

Pulling the sound card is a good idea. I have also seen some quirky things with Creative labs cards being too close to the video card.

Also try reseating the memory and all cables.
Remove and clean the CPU cooling fan and heat sink
Make sure the CPU cooling fan is working.

Is the system making any unusual noises?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 moomoo2u

moomoo2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

there is a loud whirring noise (which I attribute to one of the fans) but I've looked at all of the temperatures and none of them seem particularly high. Further were it an issue of overheating wouldnt it take a while to start back up after hard-resetting?

I'll pull the card & reseat stuff later tonight and re-post

thanks for all the help!

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Id look at the CPU fan then.

#8 moomoo2u

moomoo2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

I took out the sound card and it still crashed, I reseated the memory but after having run memtest on each stick individually with no errors (after 7 passes with both) and 99 on the windows memory test, i doubt its that.

i took off the CPU fan and underneath there is a melted teal circle, not sure if thats normal....could it be that the fan keeps overheating?

How would I check the cpu fan?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

Replace the CPU Heatsink and fan. Where do you live all I need is a state.

#10 moomoo2u

moomoo2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

I took out the CPU fan and the processor and put both back in but now it wont even load windows, just auto shuts down after 1-2min (does the same thing if I'm in the BIOS) ... :thumbsup:

what have I done?

I live in Vermont

Edited by moomoo2u, 24 March 2010 - 07:49 PM.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

http://www.newegg.com will have the heatsink for you. It will get shipped faster, and you probably need to reapply thermal paste. Go to best buy to get some. Or order Arctic Silver 5 when you get a new HSF.

#12 moomoo2u

moomoo2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:42 PM

id rather be able to get back into windows and run a stress test/temp test to see if it really is the fan before throwing money at the problem. Any idea why my computer is turning off after 2 minutes now?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:31 PM

You probably do not have enough thermal compound between the heatsink and cpu. When you remove either one, you should always reapply some of course after cleaning the old off from the heatsink and top of the CPU with rubbing alcohol.

#14 moomoo2u

moomoo2u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:03 PM

It's not the heatsink, recently re-seated it with new thermal gel, BIOS has the CPU temp at 40 degrees C, which while a little warm is nowhere near threatening (it was around 50-60 when I could get into windows).

Every time my CPU gets to the XP screen with the little loading bar it bluescreens very quickly and restarts.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

Have you ran hard drive diagnostics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users