Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost bookmarks on firefox

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smilesonly

smilesonly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

I went to go online this morning and clicked on my firefox browser icon. I got a new icon come up asking me if I wanted to rename my profile, change my profile or delete my profile, beside that was a square with the word DEFAULT in it. I just clicked on the cancel button. Then clicked on Firefox again and it came up this time only it was an empty one.. no bookmarks not shortcuts on my toollbar.. nothing.. files and files of important information all gone... any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated so I can pull out my files I need to print for a meeting today!! THanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:39 AM

Hello smilesonly and welcome to BC.

Another member, cctexun, had that same problem a few weeks ago and ultimately figured it out. Have a look at Firefox Bookmarks Gone, They just disappeared.

I like IE, so thats all I can give you. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 keithy397

keithy397

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 18 September 2005 - 12:19 PM

A but late for your meeting but if you haven't sorted it out yet:-

OK, they're probably not lost at all. When you close Firefox, at times it may not close out properly and when you try to re-open it, it thinks it is still operational and will ask you to create another profile because it 'thinks' the one you wanted is in use.

To remedy this, open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), select the Processes tab and look for any instances of firefox.exe. Any instances should be selected and removed by clicking 'End Process'. Once they are cleared you will be able to access Firefox again. However, if you have created another profile you will want to get to your original profile to re-enable your previously saved data.

To select a profile for use click - Start > Run > (type) firefox.exe -p (firefox[dot]exe[space]-p). You will now open the Profile Manager whereby you can Select, Create, Rename or Delete profiles. There is also an option to open the Profile Manager on every start of Firefox, which is very useful for multiple profiles and/or users.
Cheers

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users