Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hi, I new here and hope that someone can help me with a problem.

I have a Dell Optiplex 170L that I bought used for $100. It only has a 40 GB harddrive.

I have a 160 GB harddrive from a computer I had that the motherboard went bad. I tried to install the 160 GB in the Optiplex but when the computer tried to boot I received a message that Windows had to be activated. I activated Windows when I set up the computer it came out of and used it for several months until the motherboard was fried in an electrical storm.

I tried to activate the 160 GB drive through Microsoft, but they won't let me. The answer I received what that the activation code that I used when I set up the new computer was a wrong activation code and I would have to go back to the place I purchased the computer.

The 160 GB drive is running Windows XP SP2 and the 40 GB drive is running Windows XP SP3

So here is my question. I want to use the 160 GB drive for a primary, and the 40 GB drive for a secondary because the 160 GB drive has some programs on it that is not on the 40 GB drive. Does anyone know how I can activate the 160 GB drive so I can use it. I am not trying to steal anything from Microsoft, I just want to use the 160 GB drive on this other computer. After all, I did purchase the 160 GB drive in the other computer. What I can't understand is why the activation code is wrong if it activated Windows when I set up the computer it came out of.

I really would like to get the Windows on the 160 GB drive activated so I can use it.

Edited by kemperhills, 23 March 2010 - 08:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

I want to use the 160 GB drive for a primary, and the 40 GB drive for a secondary because the 160 GB drive has some programs on it that is not on the 40 GB drive.

If these are IDE hard disks, you can set the jumper for the primary (160gb) hard disk to 'master' and the secondary (40gb) one to 'slave'. After the necessary connections, you can verify the status in the BIOS.

Now the system should boot from the primary hard disk, treating the other one as secondary.

As far as backing up the data goes, you can either connect the hard disk(with your data) to another computer and transfer the data OR make use of a Linux based Live CD to retrieve data from the hard disk, when connected to your system.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

I want to use the 160 GB drive for a primary, and the 40 GB drive for a secondary because the 160 GB drive has some programs on it that is not on the 40 GB drive.

If these are IDE hard disks, you can set the jumper for the primary (160gb) hard disk to 'master' and the secondary (40gb) one to 'slave'. After the necessary connections, you can verify the status in the BIOS.

Now the system should boot from the primary hard disk, treating the other one as secondary.

As far as backing up the data goes, you can either connect the hard disk(with your data) to another computer and transfer the data OR make use of a Linux based Live CD to retrieve data from the hard disk, when connected to your system.

I did all that. The problem is not getting the 160 GB drive properlly installed, it is getting Windows activated. When I bought the computer that the 160GB drive came out of 6-8 months ago, I activated it and used the computer. Then in an electrical storm the 160 GB drive computer was fried. Then I bought the used 40 GB computer and installed the 160 GB drive as primary, and the 40 GB drive as secondary. But when I tried to boot the computer the problem began. As the computer was starting to boot and activation window appeared and a message that said this version of windows must be activated before booting. I had activated the 160 GB drive in the computer I bought that it came out of, now the activation window says it has to be activated again. Microsoft won't all it for reasons stated. So if I can't find a way to activate the 160 GB drive that I have paid for, I will have to toss it.

#4 Sobeysboy

Sobeysboy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Have you tried calling Microsoft driectly; explaining the situation (including the other computers' mobo being fried during the electrical storm), they're usually sympathetic and will give you a new activation code over the phone.
AMD Phenom™ 9950 Quad-Core BE, Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM, WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb, HIS Radeon HD5770, SoundMAX Blackhawk HD Audio, Windows Vista HP-64 bit, ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, Corsair 750 watt PSU, Zalman GS 1000 Full Tower, CoolIt Domino CPU Cooler

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

Microsoft...or their agents who perform the PA service...routinely deal with situations like this...favorably.

Phone activation works and is painless.

Louis

#6 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

I did all that. The problem is not getting the 160 GB drive properlly installed, it is getting Windows activated. When I bought the computer that the 160GB drive came out of 6-8 months ago, I activated it and used the computer. Then in an electrical storm the 160 GB drive computer was fried. Then I bought the used 40 GB computer and installed the 160 GB drive as primary, and the 40 GB drive as secondary. But when I tried to boot the computer the problem began. As the computer was starting to boot and activation window appeared and a message that said this version of windows must be activated before booting. I had activated the 160 GB drive in the computer I bought that it came out of, now the activation window says it has to be activated again. Microsoft won't all it for reasons stated. So if I can't find a way to activate the 160 GB drive that I have paid for, I will have to toss it.

Edited by kemperhills, 24 March 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#7 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Have you tried calling Microsoft driectly; explaining the situation (including the other computers' mobo being fried during the electrical storm), they're usually sympathetic and will give you a new activation code over the phone.

No I haven't talked personally to a Microsoft rep. Don't know the number. And for some reason I can't get the modem in the used computer to work so I can try to deal with it online. The only way that I have to try, until I find out what is wrong with the modem, is to use the activation screen that appears when I try to boot the 160 GB drive. There you have to call on a phone and do what they tell you to do. So far all I get is that the 160 drive was activated with a bad number. But I will try to find the Microsoft number and call them to see what they say. Thanks.

#8 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Microsoft...or their agents who perform the PA service...routinely deal with situations like this...favorably.

Phone activation works and is painless.

Louis

Thanks Louis for the advise. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users