Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM compatability

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shags72

shags72

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

I have a mother board that is rated for ddr2 5300. I can get a really good deal on some 6400, like 2gb for $20. Now I only want 1gb to get mine up to 3gb total. Will my pc use this or will it not work at all. I don't care that it runs below the 6400 rating. In fact I think that what is in my pc is 4200. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:17 AM

As long as it is the same memory type (I.E. DDR, DDR@, DDR3) they will work in the system at the highest rated speed your motherboard can handle. I would not mix the 4200 with the 6400. While in theory it should work in my experience mixing memory speeds can cause all kinds of weird problems. Match the speeds and timings for all the modules and you will be okay.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Sobeysboy

Sobeysboy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

I personally have always found using RAM that is on the manufacturers QVL (Qualified Vendors List) to work best, and that installing RAM that is above what your mobo is capable of handling is at the very least, a waste of your hard-earned cash.
AMD Phenom™ 9950 Quad-Core BE, Kingston HyperX 8GB RAM, WD VelociRaptor 300 Gb, HIS Radeon HD5770, SoundMAX Blackhawk HD Audio, Windows Vista HP-64 bit, ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe, Logitech G5 Laser Mouse, Corsair 750 watt PSU, Zalman GS 1000 Full Tower, CoolIt Domino CPU Cooler

#4 shags72

shags72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

The only reason why I was thinking about doing this is the price. $20 for 2gb. Sounded worth a shot but if it might cause problems with my pc I might not want to. How would I know what the timing was on the sticks. I have seen it advertised but didn't really know what it meant and how you could tell if it doesn't say on the stick. Does it mean use the same timing or oposite timing? Like 2-4 with 1-3. Thanks guys.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:25 AM

Everything needs to be the same. Speed (4200, 6400, ect), Cas timings (should say something like 4-4-5 or similar) and Latency (a single number). Any decent vendor online should have all of this information posted. As for your existing memory if you pull a module usually there is a label with the manufacturer and model number. If you look it up you will get all of the info you need.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

in theory, it will work, the faster ram will just run at the slower rams speed. however, the key word there is in theory, at the very least don't mix the brand names. Sometimes it doesn't always work-sometimes the timings throw up issues all over the place, but even more often the faster memory draws more power then the slower and that causes all kind of issues. So if the voltage happens to be the same, it may work, but youd be better off, and would achieve better performance by purchasing the slower moving memory that your system can handle.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 shags72

shags72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

Will do sir. This is why I asked. Just hoping against hope. Thanks to all! :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users