Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most reliable hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shags72

shags72

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

I couldn't get a search result to come back so I guess I will ask what I am sure is a question that has been asked before. I am looking to buy a 1TB hd and am asking which manufacturer to get it from. I appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

IMO...based on the fact that I have always used drives by just about every hard drive manufacturer that existed at the time...there is no such thing as a "most reliable hard drive".

In general, any new hard drive manufactured by any of the major players (no rebranded/refurbed drives) has as much chance of performing reliably as any other drive.

Most users develop preferences, just as most of us develop favorite cereals, cars, music, etc...but I've never found any one brand to be superior to any other.

My bias is Seagate, not because it's better...but normally the warranty period may be longer than those for other drives.

Having said that, warranty period is absolutely no consideration today when I buy a drive...that wasn't true in the 90s when I first began playing with personal computers. I believe I only have 1 Seagate drive out of a possible 12 or so.

You might find This Dialogue enlightening or exasperating.

IMO, the main thing to consider is...the technology is going to change/evolve, with the high possibility that faster/better drives will be on the scene...long before the listed warranty period of any drive comes to pass. It's hard for me to attach any concept connoting "permanence" to computer hardware or O/Ses these days.

IMO, if it goes bad and I want to replace it by following the guidelines for RMA...that's about all that can be expected.

FWIW: The oldest drive I have any useability out of today...dates back to 2002. But I don't use it very often because I have faster/better drives which have evolved since 2002 and I don't plan to ever "need" IDE drives again.

Apologies for being so verbose, it's me :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

IMO...based on the fact that I have always used drives by just about every hard drive manufacturer that existed at the time...there is no such thing as a "most reliable hard drive".

Ditto. I have used about every brand there is/was. WD, IBM, Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, Sanyo etc. I have also had at least one of each of those brands fail on me, or a customer. Actually, now that I think about it, I have had each of those brands fail on me personally.

That being said, at times there are certain brands that have their runs of "off" hard drives. The infamous IBM 75GXP comes to mind. Lately Seagate has had firmware problems (since fixed) with some of it's drives. I pretty much buy by size/performance/price/warranty regardless of brand. Brand is usually my last consideration.

Currently WD Blacks are my favorites. That may change tomorrow.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 shags72

shags72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:33 PM

I figured as much on this subject as it is pretty subjective and kinda personal preference. Well let me rephrase it then. Are there any I should stay away from? I had been looking at the Hitachi drives and just hate to buy something just on price. I guess I just have to jump in and buy and then go from there. Thanks for your advice and I will look at WD. What I am thinking about doing is putting a 1tb in my pc and then gettng a 1-2tb to attach to my NAS drive that is only 250 but has USB ports to allow expansion. Getting kinda worried about my 320 in my pc it has given my boot disk errors here lately. I reseated the cables and thought it was fixed but it did it again tonight. Need to back up quick.

Edited by shags72, 24 March 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

I also tend to go by price at the time that I want/need a drive.

Hitachi (formerly IBM) drives have been as reliable as my Samsung or WD or...you get the picture :thumbsup:.

The one comment I will add...I don't believe in having really huge hard drives. I have one 1TB drive now and I really would prefer to have 2 500s, if only for splitting the risk of data loss if the drive goes out with mechanical failure. Just a personal preference.

Louis

#6 shags72

shags72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

That makes a lot of sense. Some of the externals have multi drives so I will look at them and maybe move some of the data on my 320 to those and then put a 500 in there too. Thanks for the help!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

I'm no expert on this but have you considered an SSD? There not really for storage but you could buy one just as a boot drive :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users