Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

I have Windows XP Home-SP2. I recently read in Karen's Powertools newsletter that it is better to disable the Automatic Download+Update function in Windows to just alert me of any new updates+I can decide which to use. Does this make sense?

I used to have my security settings for this to automatically download+install the updates. It was suggested that some of these downloads may actually be harmful, so I switched my settings yesterday just to see what might happen. I turned my computer off last night+when I turned it on this afternoon I got a security warning that my KIS 2010 was not enabled! I have no clue as to what Windows updates would have to do with KIS. I'm hoping someone here might shed some light on this?

Thank you
honu1

Edited by honu1, 23 March 2010 - 06:17 PM.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:48 PM

To be honest...it really does not matter at all how the critical updates get installed...it matters that they get installed.

I have 3 computers...one uses the auto-update feature, while two don't (I manually go to WUS). All three are as well-protected from known security vulnerabilities as can be.

I'm on each system daily and I'm retired. For users who don't spend the time on a system that I do...auto-updates is probably the best option, IMO. All those persons who claim to actually read about the update before installing it...are probably lying :thumbsup:...but those are the only types for whom I would suggest the technique you mentioned.

Those persons who think that SP2 gives them the same level of protection that SP3 and subsequent critical updates provide...well, that's just not realistic at all, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users