Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After restoring a ghost image, Computer boots to "A Disk Read Error Occured" Press CTRL-AlT-Del to restart.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EDGAR214

EDGAR214

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

After restoring a ghost image, Computer boots to "A Disk Read Error Occured" Press CTRL-AlT-Del to restart. It runs Windows XP, its a Lenovo Thinkpad with a SATA drive (also in AHCI):

This is what happened. I took out the 160GB SATA from the laptop, and put it in an USB enclosure and created an image in Ghost 11 that is saved to a desktop computer, then. I restored the image to a 80GB SATA drive with a USB enclosure. I pop in that 80GB drive to the laptop and that message of "A Disk Read Error Occured" shows up.

There is only one partition.

I tried the following already:
fixboot
fixmbr
Chkdsk /r (all clean)

By the way, if I put it in an enclosure, it is accessible and does read data as normal. What can I do to fix it?
Please don't ask me to reformat, I want the laptop to use that image.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

The difference in drive sizes (Larger to smaller) may be the problem. I haven't used Ghost in a while, but I had a similar thing happen to me. Let me dust off my memory and dig.

Edit : Look at nigels reply here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/len...l-will-not-boot

Edited by rigel, 23 March 2010 - 06:28 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 EDGAR214

EDGAR214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

The difference in drive sizes (Larger to smaller) may be the problem. I haven't used Ghost in a while, but I had a similar thing happen to me. Let me dust off my memory and dig.

Edit : Look at nigels reply here: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/len...l-will-not-boot

Thanks for the Link! I tried the suggested solution and it worked! I cant believe Ghost is so picky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users