Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Permissions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 baltovet

baltovet

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I have a Windows XP Professional desktop computer that I built in 2003. It has been completely trouble free until approximately October 2009, when it began being erratic booting up. Sometimes it would hang, and other times it would finish booting. A few weeks later, it would not boot at all. I removed the hard drive and used it in a USB enclosure to make sure my data was still retrievable, which it was. I had to take permissions to obtain access to different files and folders, but after doing so I backed up what I needed. I took the machine to a repair facility (unnamed but rhymes with squeak god) and was told after being tested that my motherboard or my processor was to blame, as everything that could be tested otherwise (RAM, power supply, hard drive, and graphics card) were working fine. I was informed that the motherboard would be the most likely culprit, so I located an exact replacement and when I installed it, still no boot. I also replaced the processor, and still no boot. Finally, in desperation I replaced the power supply, and this time I got the computer to at least begin to go through a boot up. The motherboard LEDs indicated that there was a RAM problem, so I removed one of the sticks and the computer booted up. The problem now is that by taking permissions of the drive on another computer, once I put my hard drive back in it's original machine, most of my programs will not open and I am told I don't have access to them. I would like to know what I can do to reclaim the hard drive, although I've attempted to take permissions with the hard drive back in the original machine. All of the data is still there, it's just that I can't get to from within the programs that use it.

Thank you all for any assistance you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First of all...when moving a hard drive to another system (for file access), it's normal for certain files to be unavailable immediately. These are the files which appear under the C:/Documents & Settings path.

All other files should be easily accessible...and these files also are easily accessible, by employing a procedure known as "taking ownership."

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

There is no impact at all on programs...a given program can access a data file of any type at any time....unless we are talking about the small group of data files that appear as My Docs, My Music, etc.

So I have no idea what you are talking about when you say that programs will not open...no changes were made to programs or permissions re such.

If you did something other than the procedures detailed above...then you need to let us know exactly what you did.

The only thing governing the functionality of programs on a hard drive...are registry entries relative to Windows or installed programs. If neither of those have changed...a hard drive can be moved a zillion times (from system drive to secondary drive and vice versa) and as long as the registry and installed files are as they were when the drive was moved...the programs will function properly.

<<All of the data is still there, it's just that I can't get to from within the programs that use it.>>

Which installed programs...cannot access what data files, please?

What is the error message received when access is attempted?

Louis

#3 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

Louis,

Thank you for your reply. I did take ownership of the drive as soon as I hooked it up via USB to my laptop. I have been waiting on new memory for about 6 weeks now from the manufacturer of the memory that was found to be bad. Instead they are going to send me a check, so I just purchased new memory and will install it later, then get the exact error messages. I assumed that by taking ownership of the drive while hooked to another machine has caused the current problem. But, as I say, I will post exact specifics later. No changes were made to the drive otherwise, as it was used only for the purposes of backing up certain files to another drive.

Thanks again,

Larry

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:24 AM

The message I get after I enter my adminstrator password is that "windows cannot load the users proifie but has logged you on with a default profile" I never got this message previously.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,758 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

A user profile...reflects the persons who are authorized use of your system.

If that profile is damaged/corrupted...then that user may have trouble logging onto Windows. When Windows detects a problem with the profile, it may use a temporary profile...or the user just may not be able to logon at all.

What I've done when I received the error message you have...is just boot into XP and create a new profile for myself (I'm the sole user of my systems) and then transfer settings, etc. to the new profile/user and delete the damaged profile (User Account) after all has been transferred.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Note the advice about email and the WAB. Those can be transferred to another partition, a CD, etc. before beginning the steps listed above.

Also see Problems Which May Occur As Result Of Damaged Profile

Louis

#7 baltovet

baltovet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thank you for your help.

I am the only user on this machine, and no other user profiles have existed. I assumed that since this only came up after I took ownership of the drive once it was out of it's primary machine and hooked USB to another, doing such was the cause.

Anyway, I will look at the references you provided and take the advice. Thanks for your assistance.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Your user profile is damaged, and thats why its giving you that error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users