Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Troubles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 doh102

doh102

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:27 AM

OK, i'm getting real frustrated here. about 2 months ago, i attempt to hook up two computers to dsl at my parents house. After about 2 hours on the phone with someone, I could not get a linksys wired router to work. I returned it, and purchased a dlink. It worked just fine.

Now, this week, my girlfriends roomate purchased a wireless router so she could connect her laptop to it in their apartment. My girlfriend has had working cable internet from comcast for about a month and a half. I attempted to hook up this router to the desktop computer, via an ethernet cable, and again, signal is gone. Again, i spent lots of time on the phone with linksys, and again, no solution. I hooked up the laptop via the wire, and it worked just fine.

I am not that "network savvy" so please remember to speak to me as if i was a three year old. When the desktop was attempting to be hooked up, the linksys guy told me to open up IE or Firefox and type in 192.168.1.1.....nothing happens. The hourglass appears, acting like it's thinking, but it never gets anywhere. The laptop worked just fine.

Both computers (Girlfriend's and Parents)are HP Emachines. I don't know if that is the key, that there is something that I haven't done on them to make the linksys router happy. ANYONE with any ideas on a solution, i would very greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe

Mod Edit - Email address removed to defeat spambots - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 15 September 2005 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 11:05 AM

What is the operating system on the affected computer? What do you see in Device Manager concerning Network Adapter? Is it showing that it is installed and working properly? Have you enabled DCHP in the TCP/IP properties for the Network Adapter? What is the make and model number of the router? Are you sure you are connecting the network cable in the proper port?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

ya, next time when you get back at it, go into start>run type in "cmd"
when window opens up type in "ipconfig /release", this will prematurly release your network card's tcp/ip info. once this command is finished , you should see 3 lines of 0.0.0.0,
ipaddress 0.0.0.0
subnet mask 0.0.0.0
default gateway 0.0.0.0
now you type in "ipconfig /renew", this renews your ip "lease", and refreshes the above info with the new network info coming from your DHCP server (ie:your router), now , the default gateway is also the address you will type into the web browser in order to get the login screen. it will be, 192.168.1.1 as you said earlier. if you are able to successfully release and renew your ip address, then you will be able to into your linksys configuration. providing your computer does not have any other issues. linksys is a great Small Office Home Office router, hopefully you didnt get a bad taste from your experiences!

BTW.
the above instructions are for all windows operating systems, however, if you have a win9x box, the only differences are shown below:

Win XP ipconfig /release = Win 9X= ipconfig /release_all
Win XP ipconfig /renew = Win 9X= ipconfig /renew_all
Let me know how you made out.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 doh102

doh102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 08:45 PM

thanks for the help guys. i just used system restore to go back a couple days, and now everything works great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users