Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound stopped working???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dren

Dren

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi everyone... Last time I had a problem was allll the way back in 2005... jeez. that was a long time ago... Anyways, I have another problem which I cannot solve and this also happened to me with Windows Vista and is now happening to me with Windows 7.

My sound has stopped working.... Why? I don't know. I've uninstalled and installed drivers, I've restored the computer, made sure everything is plugged in properly, I've checked settings...nothing

Is there a way to get my sound settings back to the way they used to be?? Or a way to just fix this. Here is screenshots of my sound settings:

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

Do you have external speakers that don't work? Or are you talking about internal speakers?

There are a number of things it could be, but I need to know the hardware configuration before giving you any recommendations.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Dren

Dren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

These are external speakers. They work because I just tested them on another computer I have running WinXP

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

I, myself, cannot help you with this issue (outside my knowledge). Good luck, though. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 24 March 2010 - 06:14 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:36 AM

Try headphones in your speaker port, if they dont work then the issue is your sound card.

#6 Dren

Dren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

but why would this happen to me again from Windows Vista? This same exact thing happened on Vista and I just wrote it off as a bad sound card and was going to get one a few months after buying my upgrade to Windows 7 and when I installed Windows 7 the soundcard was just fine. Also, if the soundcard was bad, wouldn't Windows register that no sound is being played at all when I open the sound settings? (that little green bar to the right of the sound producer)

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

It's possible it could be something as simple as a cable shorting out between the sound card and the output jack....but that would take some doing to narrow down.

Wait, is the "Realtek Digital Output" your external speakers? Shouldn't it be set as the Default device? :huh:

Do your internal speakers work at all? Or is the problem just the external speakers?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

but why would this happen to me again from Windows Vista? This same exact thing happened on Vista and I just wrote it off as a bad sound card and was going to get one a few months after buying my upgrade to Windows 7 and when I installed Windows 7 the soundcard was just fine. Also, if the soundcard was bad, wouldn't Windows register that no sound is being played at all when I open the sound settings? (that little green bar to the right of the sound producer)

Not necessarily any part of the soundcard can go bad from the chipset to a simple resistor.

#9 Dren

Dren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

It's possible it could be something as simple as a cable shorting out between the sound card and the output jack....but that would take some doing to narrow down.

Wait, is the "Realtek Digital Output" your external speakers? Shouldn't it be set as the Default device? :huh:

Do your internal speakers work at all? Or is the problem just the external speakers?

tried setting it to the default device... still no go....

I just remember this stopped working when I unplugged my headphones from the soundcard.... could this be narrowing it down any?

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hmm...it's a clue. But like I said, it's hard to know without tearing into it and replacing stuff (cables, then possibly the card itself). That might be what it comes down to, if nobody else has any OS stuff to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users