Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Device driver error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 philywilly

philywilly

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

I have a question: is there a program I can run on my computer to do a driver diagnostic? When I start up my XP home edition I get two error messages and tell it to send to Microsoft to report and I get to the Microsoft website and tells me I have some type of problem with a driver but they do not what it exactly is. Everything is working fine, but occasionally the computer shuts itself down and I cannot read the blue screen fast enough to see what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:02 AM

Good morning philywilly,

I would suggest you visit the "home" sites for the computer you have. ie: HP - www.hp.com and look for the drivers area. If you have a self built system, go to the site of the manufacturer. Regardless of if you have issues with certain pieces of hardware or not, I usually update my drivers if there is one available. You can also go to the microsoft update site here.

Select a custom update and then look at available hardware driver updates they have.

Now, with that said, if you have your old drivers for your computer placed safely away somewhere... keep them. As always, anytime you change things there is a possibility that something could go wrong. Keep the old drivers as your back up!

I hope this helps,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

You can update drivers using your device manager.

The device manager will also tell you if there is a problem showing in any of the devices.

Open the device manager , look for red or yellow marks designating problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users