Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor doesn't turn on after idling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gmangokevin

gmangokevin

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

So first off, I suppose I should say I'm one of those people who leaves their computer on pretty much all the time (no sleep or hibernation mode activated).

Now this problem occurs when I shut my computer monitor off, then leave my computer to go to class, or out, or just not use it. I don't know how long it takes for the computer to make the monitor turn on, but I've just hopped out of the shower and it had the same problem (wouldn't turn on). Maybe this problem arises when i turn my monitor off and perhaps leave it for more than 25 minutes? I've checked my power settings and they were on "always on mode". I changed it to "presentation mode" for now, and I'll see if this fixes it but i still want more opinions.

My graphics card is a 8800 GTS and I just updated the drivers yesterday (problem came up two days ago). Between when the problem came up, I don't believe I've actually done anything that would change it. I've gotten an SC2 Beta key, but I don't think that installing the game should have given me any problems (especially the one i'm experiencing right now) because I've also played the game on my computer a few times and it runs well.

I have been able to get my monitor to display when i switch the ports on the back of my graphics card, suddenly it works. When i shut off my monitor again, and turn it back on after some time has passed (a few minutes maybe? definitely the time it takes for me to shower), the problem shows up again.

I know it seems like I'm in loops but I'm trying to find out what happened here. I usually move my mouse or hit a key on my keyboard and the black idling screen goes away, and my monitor turns on. This doesn't happen, I have a samsung syncmaster 906bw so the power button blinks blue because it still thinks my computer is idling. I don't believe it's my mouse or keyboard, or that my motherboard shuts off the usb ports after some time of idling, because i've tried switching ports for my mouse and my keyboard is ps/2. I know my keyboard works when the screen stuck in idle mode, because i've pressed spacebar when i knew itunes was open and music would start playing (still no screen display).

PS. I have restarted my computer, shut it off for the night, and the problem still persists.

Edit: I just wanted to add the monitor does recognize it's plugged in, because when I unplug it, it does that little thing where it's trying to detect something (analog or digital).

Edited by Pandy, 23 March 2010 - 01:59 PM.
Edit to remove unneeded (at this time) HijackThis Logfile ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

What are your power settings in XP? Ditto for the BIOS?

Have you tried a different monitor for a test period?

What is the monitor in question?

System manufacturer and model...or...motherboard manufacturer and model (if custom/self-built)?

Louis

#3 gmangokevin

gmangokevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Hi, thanks for replying. I've been in classes all day.

I'd like to ask for clarification on power settings in XP. I am guessing that it's under control panel -> power options? If so, then the tab that asks for the power scheme is presentation mode...

I also don't know how to check the bios settings. I don't mess around with that stuff, so I'm unsure if I could have done anything to change it (it's only my computer).

I only have one monitor. I don't know if it's the monitor in question or if it's actually my graphics card... or something else.

And my motherboard is manufacturer and model number is MSI K9AGM2

thanks again for your help.

#4 gmangokevin

gmangokevin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

So, i found a monitor for testing and it turns out it's my monitor that's possibly crapping out.

if i were to try to explain this again, i'd say that the monitor isn't receiving the video signals from my graphics card/pc... i assume that it is definitely sending signals seeing as how the other monitor i tested worked immediately.

any suggestions/help please? thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

Well...I just replace a monitor when it develops problems.

My experience is that a user doesn't have problems until it's ready to be replaced, although I suppose one could attempt repairs on such. But I think that such is somewhat dangerous for a lay person (like me), so I would not suggest such.

You should probably await some input from those in this forum who have more knowledge and experience in this area :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users