Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connection (with Sky broadband) continually cuts out, but only on certain computers.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 HAJiME

HAJiME

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hi,
First of all I apologise if this is a little vague, my knowledge of these things is limited. :/
The problem has become incredibly frustrating to the point that I can barely use the internet.

3/4 weeks ago our household switched to Sky broadband and I've experienced problems ever since.
The connectivity will cut out after a few seconds or minutes, or, at best, after 20 or 30 minutes.
Despite repairing or refreshing the connection, it's always difficult to re-connect; either the connection will cut out as before, or it can take up to 30 minutes to connect.
During this time, I'll be alerted that it was "unable to connect to preferred wireless network", or that no networks were found. This is despite the list of available networks displaying our network with enough signal to connect.

However, this is only a problem on my own laptop. There are two other laptops accessing the same network, all with few problems (the odd disconnection but nothing unusual).
It may be important to note that this particularly laptop is situated downstairs and the router is upstairs, though when these other laptops are downstairs as well, they don't experience the same problems.
Even when my laptop's connection is stable, the speed will be at around 9 or 18mbps, whereas on the other laptops it is around 54mbps or higher.

I would assume this is a specific problem with my laptop, but with previous wireless connections there's never been an issue...
Either way I'm completely clueless, so any suggestions or solutions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users