Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer wish list

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:42 AM

...give us a way to add reputation points to other members.  Or maybe we can and I missed it.  I like to see reps for the same reason you look for references in the real world.  It may not mean a lot, but it's better than nothing when you're considering the source of information and advice.

I also like to see what others think of my advice and comments.  If I'm helpful, or if people think I'm a jerk - and most jerks don't know it :thumbsup: ... either way, it's nice to know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Personally I would give you a rep for your avatar; I love Douglas Adams. But in my limited experience rep points should be used on more argumentive sites, i.e. those of a political nature, where I admit they are fun. But I feel that Bleeping Computer is much too dignified for such tawdry practices.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

We always appreciate and take seriously our Member's comments, criticism, and suggestions.

Many general forums have a system of reputation points that do fulfill the purpose you suggest; however, this system doesn't seem to work on a technical forum as well as one would like, and asking Members to make important changes to their computer on such a basis might result in serious and unfortunate consequences.
For this reason, BC has created a "Trusted Advisor" group whose reputation is based on both their proven, expert -reviewed knowledge of various areas of computing as well as their ability to communicate it in a clear manner to those they help. We believe that this alternative far better allows our Members to have confidence on their advice than would be possible under the reputation method.

Thanks for your comments,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

If I may, I would like to contribute to the already well made and valid comments. The suggestion you make has it's validity in some applications. However for a site such as ours the potential for misuse as well as the management of such a system for accuracy and integrity outweighs any negligible benefit. Additionally the system would have the potential for fragmenting the community into have's and have nots. Which is counter to one of the founding philosophies of Bleeping Computer.

Again, thank you for your suggestion.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:04 PM

...Bleeping Computer is much too dignified for such tawdry practices.

Okay, got it.  Thanks for the explanation.  I hope my topic doesn't attract a bunch of riff-raff. :thumbsup:

#6 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

Personally I would give you a rep for your avatar; I love Douglas Adams...

I love the "Don't Panic" motto.  It's a must for computer tinkerers.  I, of course, have learned that the hard way, like rushing into swinging an axe at something that only needed a tweak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users