Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NOD32 and ZoneAlarm Basic doesn't show on systray

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jerk009

jerk009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:36 AM

hi,

this is my first post here coz i just registered an hour earlier seeking for help.. my problem is that nod32 av and zone alarm basic firewall doesn't show on my system tray.. it just happen after i reboot.. in short, they don't just start automatically every windows startup.. i get to launch it manually to start the program everytime.. it seems that they arent listed in msconfig startup tab.. can you please help me resolve this issue without reinstalling nod32 and zone alarm? thanks in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

drag and copy the program from their start menu folder into the startup folder.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

If they normally load at startup but did not the last time you rebooted, I would just reboot again and see if that fixes it. I would also use Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org to and SuperAntiSpyware from SuperAntiSpyware.com to check for malware as often times malware will disable your protection.

If they have never loaded at startup I would check to make sure you have the programs configured correctly to run at startup. I do not use the free stand alone version of the ZoneAlarm firewall but I do use their antivirus/firewall and in the program there is a box to check that says load at startup. There is probably a box like that in the version you use and probably something similar in Nod32.

Edited by Stang777, 23 March 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#4 jerk009

jerk009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:59 AM

thanks for your response really appreciate it. anyways, may i ask what's the best and reliable third party firewall for xp?
thanks for your warm welcome. :thumbsup:

Edited by jerk009, 24 March 2010 - 02:02 AM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

You are very welcome. :thumbsup:

Everyone seems to have varying opinions as to which is best, but in my opinion, one cannot beat ZoneAlarm. Like I said, I don't use the free version but I am sure as far as stopping intrusions into a computer go, it is the same as the one that comes with the paid antivirus program. The one that comes with the antivirus program has an operating system firewall, which I don't want to be without, that I don't think the free version has. I have used ZA antivirus/firewall for many years, on many different computers and as long as I can afford to pay 20 bucks a year to renew it, I will always use it.

I do not use the latest version of it because I have not upgraded to SP3 and it requires you have that for the latest versions, so I just stick with the latest one that does not require that and am very happy with it.

Comodo is suppose to be a very good firewall, it also comes with antivirus that one can install, or not, and it is free. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of another free one out there but I think there are a couple more. Others can probably give you some ideas on those. You can also check out the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods section of this forum for ideas and opinions on that. Here is a link to that section of the forum in case you need it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:24 AM

Do you use a router? If so you do not need a firewall on your computer, your router is pretty good. If you need a firewall use Windows Firewall it is pretty reliable, and I would upgrade to SP3. I would ditch ZoneAlarm its a terrible program, and has been notorious since 1999.

#7 jerk009

jerk009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks so much Stang777. Very well said and understood. I've follow what you've been told and MBAM malwarebytes found 10 culprits. Now, my computer is back to normal. Thanks again. God bless.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

You are very welcome and thank you. I am glad that your computer is back to working well but I would also follow up by scanning with SuperAntiSpyware just to make sure everything is gone. SuperAntiSpyware will often find different things than Malwarebytes so it is best to run each of them. Just make sure to update them before running them. I keep them on my system and use them as on demand scanners every now and again just to make sure nothing has slipped by my protection.

#9 jerk009

jerk009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

whoa! SuperAntiSpyware detected 34 threats. Is this true?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Not sure what "Is this true?" is supposed to mean...but SAS is an effective tool.

34 items detected by SAS is not necessarily something to worry about...a user needs to look at what the items are.

SAS generally will detect undesireable cookies, but it may also detect more malicious objects on the system.

You need to examine the list of detected items.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users