Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grinler-Can you recommend an all in one security

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jewelleria

Jewelleria

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

Right now I have Norton security 2010-I am not unhappy with anything about them too much except there customer service if you do want something. One time my internet messed up and I had to put the OS disk in and Norton charged me to reinstall their product. Is there another security that compares to Norton that might have better customer service or should I just stick with this. I have about fourteen days left with them and I need to re buy or do something else. I do not want to mess with a bunch of different programs, I would rather just pay a one time yearly fee and forget it. Can you help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Epix Scene

Epix Scene

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:03 AM

Yeah Personally I think Norton Is Bloated.
Some Great Free av's Would Be:

-Comodo Internet Security
-Avast!5.0 Home Edition
-Avira Antivir
-Microsoft Security Essentials

All Those Are Free But Only Have One Antivirus.

Good Free Scanners Are:

Malwarebytes
SUPERAntiSpyware
HitManPro3.5

A Good Add-on For More Security Is ThreatFire And Sandboxie. I Would Look Into Getting Both Of Them

Hope I Helped!
Fire Wall: Comodo Firewall
Anti-virus: Avast! 5.0 Free Anti-virus
Web Browser: Fire-Fox w/ WOT,Ab-plus,TACO 3.0
On Demand Scanner: MalwareBytes AntiMalware,Hit-Man Pro 3.5
"i prevent the malware, the other stuff are just my sidekicks" -Epix Scene

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

Kaspersky is a good suite.

Whichever product you choose, go to the website of that product. If it has a trial offer, download and install it.
This will give you an opportunity to see if it plays nice with your system. People can recommend a lot of products, but some of those products *might* not play nice with your computer.

Evaluate it, see if it meets your needs, if it's user friendly. If you like it wait until the trial is almost over. Many times you'll be offered a discount to purchase it.

After you uninstall Norton, run the Norton Removal Tool before installing the new product.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition, avast! or Comodo for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

I love ZoneAlarm antivirus/firewall. It uses the same scan engine as Kaspersky but is a lot cheaper, it is about 30 bucks and I think Kaspersky is about twice that amount. I do not use the extreme suite or whatever it is called, just the antivirus program that comes with the firewall and that fits my needs perfectly. I have used ZoneAlarm for many years on many computers and love it so much I won't even consider switching, even to a free program. I find it well worth the renewal price of 20 bucks each year.

#6 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

I was just going to ask about other free firewall programs when I found this thread!

I purchased Vipre and would have added the Sunbelt firewall, but it doesn't work on Windows 7. So I downloaded the free ZoneAlarm program, but it keeps advertising the paid product, just about every time I sign on, using different methods, some rather sneaky. I remember using some other free firewall that didn't do that.

Is there something else folks would recommend? I'd rather not use a trial edition, just a completely free program.

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:22 PM

Comodo is completely free. The download link is in my post above.

#8 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

OK, will try. Thanks!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

No problem :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users