Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AutoRun does not work when CD is Inserted

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OrangeOranges

OrangeOranges

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2

I was trying to install the Setup CD-Rom for a new Canon printer that I recently got, but when I insert the CD, the AutoRun feature does not come on where I get prompted to start the installation process (I tried the CD for the new Canon MX860 and the old MP830 that I had). I remembered that awhile ago I disabled autoplay, so I spent some time looking online how to re-enable it, and I was able to re-enable autoplay by changing the NoDriveTypeAutoRun value to 91 (Hexadecimal) and deleting the NoDriveAutoRun entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer.

So now whenever I insert my thumb drive or cd rom the autoplay feature is okay, but the autorun feature is still missing. According to the printer manual there should be a Run Msetup4.exe option when the autoplay thing comes up, but I do not see it there. I also tried exploring the cd but could not find anything that looked like a ".exe" file so I could run it manually.

The settings in control panel are already set to default to use autoplay for all media devices. I've already checked in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDRom to make sure that AutoRun is set to 1 (hexadecimal), but I noticed there was also a AutoRunAlwaysDisable entry with the following in it (see below) but I'm not sure if this entry is affecting my ability to use AutoRun (I tried deleting but since nothing happened I put it back):

TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36
NEC MBR-7
NEC MBR-7.4
PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X
PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X
PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to install the CD somehow in order to use the printer, unless you can give me some other way of doing it.
I would really like to re-enable the autorun feature somehow so I don't have this problem again in the future.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:22 AM

If you double click the CDROM drive in Explorer it should open. Look through the files like any folder and find one named autorun.inf. Right click it and open it with an editor, like notepad. Inside it should say what program it runs like "setup.exe" or whatever. Find that program and double click it. It should give you the installer then.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 OrangeOranges

OrangeOranges
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

I searched thoroughly on the CD and do not see the autorun.inf file. However, when I put the disk into my Windows XP desktop, everything worked fine and I was able to get the Msetup4.exe file and also see the autorun.inf file. I"m pretty sure the CD rom works fine, but I'm getting a different set of files when I insert the CD into my laptop, and I can't click on any of the files to open it up.

What's also weird is that the AutoPlay feature is recognizing the CD as a picture file because it gives me different options to view picture, open picture, or always do this with picture files.

#4 OrangeOranges

OrangeOranges
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Nvm, I was able to install the printer driver by downloading the software from the Canon website. Thanks.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:35 PM

The autorun.inf could be hidden. Do you have that option checked in Folder Options and Folders to view all hidden files.

#6 OrangeOranges

OrangeOranges
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:54 PM

The autorun.inf could be hidden. Do you have that option checked in Folder Options and Folders to view all hidden files.

Yea I did select that option but I couldn't find it. I think it has something to do with my CD/DVD drive not recognizing the Canon CD correctly. I can't click on any of the files too in the CD.

#7 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

In some flavors of Windows I had trouble exploring files on CDs and DVDs. What I did to get around it was using FreeCommander file manager(which I use anyway.) For some reason if I click on the drive letter in the FreeCommander toolbar, it will let me look through the files on optical discs when Windows won't.

- Groucho Marx

#8 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

Also when you get weird stuff like that it's not a bad idea to scan with Malwarebyes Anti-Malware. I had a case where I could not delete any files in Vista explorer. A quick scan and Malwarebytes found a registry setting that prevented explorer from making any changes to files. Might be worth a look. It's free and good to scan once a week or so just for good measure.

Edited by MilesAhead, 25 March 2010 - 04:54 PM.

- Groucho Marx

#9 OrangeOranges

OrangeOranges
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Thanks - I tried both but Malwarebytes didn't pick up anything and FreeCommander didn't solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users