Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E-mail access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HHWP

HHWP

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi everyone. Just a note to ask for a little help accessing or helping my wife gain access to her account. We are the only two people using this computer and for some unknown reason her account started today, asking for a password. She says she hasn't entered one and I know I haven't. How can this happen and what should I or she do to gain access to her account? I've gone to"Manage Identities" numerous times and each time she is or I am asked for a password. I tried to delete her account so as to start over and, same thing basically, it asked for her to "Confirm Password". I have my E-mail account as the main one and have no problems with it. I do not have a password for mine and she did not either until today. In the space for her to enter a password is 7 dots. Does that indicate that the word or phrase is 7 spaces or entries long? In the past when she wanted to check her mail, she would go to and click on File, then click on Switch Identities, then click her name and usually she had access to her mail. Now when we (she or I) click on her name, it asks for her password to be confirmed. We've had these same accounts for quite a few years now and this is the first time this type of problem has occurred. We are NOT computer whizzes by any means, just a couple of people with friendly E-mails to and from some of our family and friends. I do have Norton's Internet Protection as a security for my system. I would hope it was enough and in the past appears to have been. We do get the forwarded jokes and such sent by friends. My wife has also in the last week or so added a few new friends that have sent numerous pieces of polictical jokes, comical pictures and what appears to be, good natured funny stuff. Could this be the source of our problem? I guess of course it could. This may very well be the problem or the source of the problem. Don't know but didn't have it until now. Sure hope you guys can help. Don't know how to gain access to the part of the system so as to delete the requirement for her to "Confirm Password". Please help. Many thanks to those that choose to help. Tom

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 23 March 2010 - 08:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

It would be helpful to know which email client you use. Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, etc.
That would make it easier to give you specific directions to account options where the password is generally found.
And yes, the 7 dots do indicate that the password is 7 letters.

I doubt adding more contacts is the cause for this issue.
Something is going on at the server level-her password is not being recognized.

#3 HHWP

HHWP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hi Queen-Evie,...we use Outlook Express. I thought that was the case with the password being 7 letters.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Is this account associated with your ISP? If so, does she remember the password that was set up when the ISP account was created?

If so, Open OE. Switch to her identity. When the password confirmation appears, ignore it and close it out.
In OE, Tools/Accounts/Mail tab.

HIGHLIGHT her account, then choose Properties.
Servers tab.
Enter the password in the box, click Apply.

Close out properties, close out OE, open it back up, if asked for password enter the password that was used above.
If it works, great.

IF NOT, you may have to log into her ISP account and change the password there. If you do this, the password will have to be changed in OE using the above procedure.

What ISP is the account with?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 March 2010 - 12:30 PM.

#5 HHWP

HHWP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hi Queen-Evie. No, the mail account is a separate entity. My ISP is Centurylink.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

Can she log into the domian web mail page? If she can, have her change the password there, then she can change it in OE. Since there is something preventing the password from being recognized, this would be the first thing to try.

#7 HHWP

HHWP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi Queen-Evie, Sorry it's been awhile since checking in. I went into "user accounts" and changed her status to Administrator and added a password requirement. I then reentered and removed the password requirement. I thought I had solved the problem but, no go. Now access to her mail account is possible but still can't do anything with it. Example; If she or I try to send/retrieve new mail, it asks for password. It seems as if the only thing we've accomplished is to at least access her account. I can't get past this requirement. I went to "system restore", to points I knew the problem didn't exist and each restore point we changed it to, system stated that it couldn't restore. We also added and removed her as Administrator and the password requirement a few times, still the problem exists. I do appreciate your efforts to assists us with this a lot. The last E-mail she received was Mar 15th. We're both a little confused. No requirement for a password but, it still asks for one , how? Thanks for your efforts. :-) Oh yeah almost forgot, the change ( then removal) we made in the password, the number of entries/letters or numbers it contained, now corresponds with the number of dots in the password requirement field/box. :thumbsup:

Edited by HHWP, 26 March 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Did you log in to the email account using the WEB version of the mail? If she does that, she can root around to find WHERE to change the password. Even though there is a disconnect between the server and password in OE she still may be able to log in to Webmail.
Then change it. You may be able to use the current password.

Whatever you do, re-enter the current password or change to something different, she will then have to go into OE and re-enter/change it.

Ironically, just after I made my last post on 3/24, my daughter opened up OE and had the same problem and was being asked for her password. I decided to log in to Comcast as the primary user account and change her password. After entering the new in OE, problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users