Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with the discription of my website on google

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kitkin15

kitkin15

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

hey ive had my website up for a while, and i got it on google about 4 months ago(andm any more search engines)
i want to see if anyone knows how to set my websites description to say whatever i want it to....right now if you google my site (kitkin15.tk) it will show you what the middle of my site says, and thats about a referral program that i want people to check out. how do i make it say what i want WITHOUT erasing the referral info?

whanks for any and all help =)

P.S. sorry if "referral" is spelt wrong, i spell checked it but it dont look right to me....
Fix everything, if nothing is left to fix than break something.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

Use Meta tags.
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_meta.asp

#3 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for that, it helped me ALOT =)

I should be able to get it all setup later tonight =)

#4 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

ok i went to that link, and so far this is what i have:

<meta name="description" content="Kits 100% free and safe: programs, games, computer help, and more!!! Kit will also make anyone a website for $5-$20 depending on how long it takes." />
<meta name="keywords" content="programs, free programs, software, free, computer, help, kit, kinnaman, kitkin15, kitkin15.tk, webdesign, websites, internet, computers, computer, forums, tech," />
<meta name="author" content="Christian (Kit) Kinnaman" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

is that right?
its not working on google, and i dont understand why.
when i went to look at where to put my meta tags, i saw that "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />" was already there, so i left that alone, is that my problem?
i dont want to mess anything up so i thought id ask
also, i use dreamweaver (makes everything go faster, i am pretty good with codes though) and it puts a title in the HTML code, does that have anything to do with why it wont pop up right when i google it?
(google kitkin15.tk, and youll know what im talking about)

thanks for the help =)

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:40 AM

All of the search engines take a bit of time to propagate and crawl your website. What is it that you are hoping to accomplish?

#6 kitkin15

kitkin15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

well im already on the search engines, i just want the discription of my site be...well...a actioul discription of my site.

if you google my site, this is what comes up:
I get 20% of what you get when you complete an offer (you lose out on nothing
though) and than I will use that to pay for www.kitkin15.tk, so I can offer ...

and that has nothing to do with my site, all that is is info on a PTG website, so.....it makes my site look bad.

what i want is to make the discription say that my site is here to offer 100% free, safe, and legal programs, computer help, and games. and that i will also design a website for a low price....but it wont work out that way.

did i make the code wrong? or will it just take some time to change?

also, sense i added myself to the search engines (im on around 90 of them, but in this case all i care about is google) a while ago (almost half a year ago) will i need to take myself off of the search engines, and put my self back on to kind of "refresh" my discription

P.S. sorry for any and all spelling errors, i kind of formatted my flashdrive and my spellchecker is gone =( i cant even design websites any more because of it =(

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

I looked up the source code of your website "kitkin15.tk". Your meta tag description has contents "kitkin15.tk". Is that a description ?
I also found that you are using frames. I think search engines do not like frames. Also frames are obsolete.

#8 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

Even though you are already on Google it still takes time to update, give it a week or so and it should be fine.

Although, as Romeo29 pointed out, by using this meta tag:

<meta name="description" content="kitkin15.tk">

When it dose eventually update your description will be "kitkin15.tk", I think you meant what you had before:

<meta name="description" content="Kits 100% free and safe: programs, games, computer help, and more!!! Kit will also make anyone a website for $5-$20 depending on how long it takes." />

Hope this helps, Wolfy87.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users