Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major PC problems. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Psycherotic

Psycherotic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:15 PM

When i try and turn my computer on the monitor does not respond unless I turn the computer and monitor On and Off over and over again. When I get the monitor to come on with my pc, The computer acts fine for a few moments and then it will lock up with yellow vertical lines.

I am not sure what I did right this time to get the computer to run more than 5 minutes without locking back up. Instead of waiting to see if it would lock up again without touching anything, I hurried up and opened task manager and closed almost all the background processes that I did not need for the moment. I did not notice anything out of place on the process list so I am not sure what to do at this point.

I have tried other monitors with the same outcome and have checked the port I plug the monitor into and it seems to be fine. I know this computer is old and the first thing a lot of people might say is "Buy a new computer" well, This is my Grandmothers computer and we dont have the money to just purchase another. She uses this pc to stay in contact with family, pay bills online and play simple pc games on. I play a few random MMORPG's on it as well.

I currently use the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware along with Advanced system care to keep things in check. I just recently downloaded Hijack This to include a log file with this message along with a screenshot of my basic system information.

This is the log file after I have closed many processes down to see if the computer would not lock up and let me try and find help.

Again, when I turn on my computer the monitor will not respond.. The led E-machine emblem only flashes and nothing is said on the screen. After turning the computer and monitor On and Off over and over again it will randomly start working, But once XP fully loads up. Within a few minutes the screen freezes and looks distorted with vertical yellow lines here and there on the screen.

I have tried to explain the best I can. I will not turn the computer back off for a while in fear that it may never turn back on now.

Please Help!!

Posted Image

Edited by elise025, 23 March 2010 - 06:36 AM.
I moved this topic to a more appropriate forum ~ Elise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

I suggest that you edit your original post, removing the HJT log data.

HJT logs are not used in this forum, since this is not a malware forum and an HJT log is a tool submitted by users who think their systems have a good chance of being infected.

If malware was your problem....restarting the system would have no impact.

Once you remove the HJT log, we can start with a few suggestions.

Louis

I suggest that you edit your original post, removing the HJT log data.

HJT logs are not used in this forum, since this is not a malware forum and an HJT log is a tool submitted by users who think their systems have a good chance of being infected.

If malware was your problem....restarting the system would have no impact.

Once you remove the HJT log, we can start with a few suggestions.

Louis

#3 Psycherotic

Psycherotic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thanks Louis, I am used to people demanding and belittling me for not knowing what to do or not providing enough information. I did not think it had anything to do with a virus or malware but usually people think your automatically stupid and want you to post a logs anyways like other forums I have tried.

I few moments ago I removed the side of the computer and found that the heatsink on the CPU was not properly secured down and was basically just dangling. I re-secured that and crossed my fingers and decided to reboot. I did not have a monitor issue or the yellow line issue. I hope this was the issue. I have not tried rebooting it again because I fear it might be for the last time.

Do you think that this might have been the cause of my problems? Maybe all the pins in the cpu were not making contact or something.. Sorry, I am basically self taught on messing around with computers and dont know a lot of the tech terms but out of the 13 years of banging on a keyboard, I somehow have managed to keep things going smooth till recently lol.

Thanks again in advance

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

With a heat sink loose, it is quite possible to overheat, causing lots of odd issues.
So that may have fixed your issue, or the damage could already be done.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

That was very good initiative on your part, well done :thumbsup:.

Could definitely be the cause of your problems.

Now that the heatsink is properly secured...I would watch it for a day or so, just to see if problems return.

Louis

#6 Psycherotic

Psycherotic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:53 PM

I restarted it and it seemed fine.. Let my Grandma on it for a few minutes and I come back to see the computer running and the monitor not responding. Had to basically flick the power on both monitor and computer repeatedly until the it was responsive again.

I was excited, thought I had got it fixed.. But no luck

1 thing i forgot to mention is that the Fan inside the computer never stops, never quiets down anymore as it used to when it was new.. I fear that there might have been some overheating involved and I am SOL lol.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

Well...I tend to always think "power supply" initially when a system won't boot properly.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have access to another desktop?

Louis

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:16 PM

The lines on the screen, non-responsive monitor, over-heating, etc... makes me think failing graphics card...but it could also be the power supply. There's no way to know without replacing one or both. I'd bet on graphics card first, though.

System manufacturer and model?

Check first post (picture).

Edited by keyboardNinja, 22 March 2010 - 10:20 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 Psycherotic

Psycherotic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

It is a E-Machine W3400, I added the screenshot of my system settings o give people an idea what im working with. People often refer to these as the cheap disposable walmart deals, But this is the first real problem I have had with it. I was thinking about the power suply and even tried using one of the other plugins to connect to my HD. Not sure what i was trying to accomplish there but I was trying everything so Grandma would stop freaking out a bit and give me a break @_@.

I will try grabbing a power supply from one of the other computers that I have (none of them are really up to par as a PC but I always collected on friends and family's broken PC's in case I could use the parts or eventually get something put together for myself.

I really hope it is not the graphics card, I believe it is built into the motherboard.. One of those radeon Xpress200 deals that came with the computer. Not sure how that works or if it would be worth trying to save the money to repair it or just trying to make some money to get a new one. I really dont know what to do at this point. I hate being poor and not able to work, Nor am I eligible for any type of monthly check due to the flawed system.. Bleh.. Sorry needed to vent a bit.. Been a really stressful day. I am on my GF's laptop at the moment and getting ready to go to bed.

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions. I will try the power supply tomorrow and see if that does it. I will also check around with my family and friends to see if they have a spare graphics card to try out.

Ron

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

Yeah, sorry about all your problems. I know how tough life can be sometimes. I've been there, so I know how you feel.

Let's hope it's not the graphics card, and that it's just a faulty PSU. Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

OTOH...if it is the video chip (onboard), that's easily overcome by adding a physical video card. System appears to have a PCIe slot, from what I read. And it's not like you need a powerful PCIe card.

Louis

#12 Psycherotic

Psycherotic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Yeah, i just tried a new PSU and had the same problems. I will try and find a gfx card the next few days and if the problem still persists, I will leave a link on this thread of a youtube video.. Me putting a few rounds into the case haha. (Yeah, I am one of those weirdo's that likes to shoot old computer cases) Thanks again for everything everyone. I will keep you updated. I wish I could give REP on this forum because you guys deserve it.

Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users