Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uniquenewyork

uniquenewyork

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

First off, I have a Median Titanium MD 8084 XL Desktop computer with Windows XP. I had noticed that my computer was making a grinding noise. Figuring that my computer probably needed a good dusting, I opened it up and cleaned it out with an air duster.

When I put it back together and turned it on, Windows would not load. Instead, I got the error message:load needed DLL's for kernel.

I got an XP recovery disk and tried to boot windows from that. This time the following things happen:

1) It tells me to press any key to boot from CD
2)Setup inspects my hardware configuration
3) It tells me that hal.dll can not be loaded and the error code is 7.
4) It says that setup can not continue

I went though the process again. The same thing happens except now it tells me that ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.

Yikes! Is this fixable, or have I really done it this time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

Clean your recovery disk. Clean the cd rom again. try another cd rom reader. Make sure there is no crack or scratch on the cd.

Medion? rather than median should have two cd/dvd drives. Try the other one. Both should be atapi bootable.

Is your stuff backed up?

Try running chkdsk /r from the repair console before doing anything like a reinstall until you get your stuff off.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:10 PM

Sounds to me that something may have come loose when you dusted it out
Try reseating all cables
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 uniquenewyork

uniquenewyork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Clean your recovery disk. Clean the cd rom again. try another cd rom reader. Make sure there is no crack or scratch on the cd.

Medion? rather than median should have two cd/dvd drives. Try the other one. Both should be atapi bootable.

Is your stuff backed up?

Try running chkdsk /r from the repair console before doing anything like a reinstall until you get your stuff off.

Yes, it is Medion. I just typoed. Unfortunately, this is a bit of an antique and only has one working DVD Rom drive, so I'm sort of stuck there.

Sounds to me that something may have come loose when you dusted it out
Try reseating all cables

That was my first thought. I'll give it a try and I'll post back if it works.

*I'm going to be upgrading my computer soon, so my primary concern is getting all of my media files off the old one.*

#5 uniquenewyork

uniquenewyork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Okay. I actually managed to knock one of my memory cards loose and that's what was causing the problem. Thanks for the help everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users