Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud CPU Fan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cyclernyc

cyclernyc

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:31 PM

I am running Windows XP Home SP3 on a Dell Dimension 4550 PC.

In January the fan inside the heat sink quit working so I had it replaced and it's been working properly as best as I am able to tell. Yesterday after several hours I noticed that I was able to hear it when before it was almost silent. Today when I first turned on the PC it was quiet but after about 4 hours the fan was noticeable. It is blowing cool air and and there hasn't been any warnings and I checked the CPU and it said that it was working properly.

Am I being overly sensitive to the noise? How loud is too loud?

Is there a diagnostic to tell if everything is ok? The Dell "Support" doesn't give any information about fans at all. I did clean all of the dust before the new fan was installed.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like your computer is getting to hot so your fan is compensating by speeding up, thus making it louder. Trying cleaning it out and making sure your exhaust fan is working properly.

Edited by 90awdturbo, 22 March 2010 - 08:28 PM.

"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#3 cyclernyc

cyclernyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

OK - thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users