Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Seaner

Seaner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

When upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7, is there a way to save microsoft word without having the cd?
Because im at college and i left the cd at home so i could wait till i ahve the cd but im impatient. so is there a way to have mirosoft word installed without having the cd with me when i upgrade?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

You are not the only person to have this dilemma. I, as well, faced this problem when I did a clean install of Windows 7 on my laptop and my netbook.

Unfortunately, you cannot transfer Word from one computer to another. You do have a few options, though:

Wait to get the install disk (I know you are impatient, though)
Chuck $100 for a new disk (I doubt you want this...believe me, I know how a college budget can be)
Or, do what I did: install the Office 2010 Beta

The Beta has all the features of full versions of Word, but the limitation is that it will expire in October of this year (2010). That would give you enough time to get your install disk from back home.

Please note: there is no explicit "upgrade" from XP to Windows 7. The technical term is "migration", which simply means you will have to backup your data (documents, music, etc..) to an external device, and perform a clean install of Windows 7 (reinstalling all your programs, as well).

See here for more information on migrating from XP to Windows 7. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

You could buy a new hard drive (they are cheap now) and install Windows 7 on it and then you will be able to dual boot, Thus saving Word. Or you could install Open Office which is free and it has an app very much like Word that you can use.

The bookstore on campus should have software at really low prices.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:33 PM

Yes, you could potentially set up a dual-boot, therefore preserving your Word installation. However, it would be quite a pain to reboot into another OS every time you wanted to do some word processing. You would likely end up spending more time using XP instead of Windows 7. (By the way, you don't need another hard drive to have a dual-boot, you can just partition off for it...either option is viable, I'm just saying a new hard drive isn't the only way to do it)

Yes, Open Office is out there, but personally, I don't like it (although, you may like it...some people do).

Regardless of where you buy Office from, the price will still be between $100 and $150 (unless you use eBay). Any retail store (or campus bookstore) is probably going to have it for $100. There is the Microsoft Ultimate Steal, as well.

I still think your best option would be to use the 2010 Beta until you can get your disk. Don't worry about it being a "beta", if the term scares you off. They just call it that because it is not officially released as a retail version yet. Yes, it will expire in October, but at least that gives you plenty of time to get your install disk.

What you do is fully up to you, I just give my opinion as to what I think is your best option. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

Go to your campus store, and see if you can get a discount.

Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student for 3 PCs Retail Box Price: $127.12

You may find it cheaper on campus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users