Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

choosing an external enclosure for internal hdds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

I've been looking at enclosures to put internal hdds to connect thru usb or 1394. I need to temporarily check the contents of 2 sata drives outside the case, then I would mostly be using the enclosure for eide drives. I have both 3.5 & 2.5 eide drives so I'd like an enclosure that would accommodate both sizes and both sata/eide. I would think there would be sata > eide adapters that I could use that might be cheaper than an enclosure to accommodate both types, altho some sata/eide > usb2 were as low as $12.99 if there is not more to boy.

There also seem to be unconfigured cases available that I'm assuming one picks out the adapters and cables to build whatever you want.

What I'd really like is an enclosure that would hold sata/eide 2.5 & 3.5 and connect via usb or 1394.

Are there voltage issues I need to consider?

Any recs for a reasonably priced brand or specific product?
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:41 PM

Worth a look, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...cking%20station OR http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2785

Louis

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Thanks hamluis,

When I came across a dock searching I thought no. It always makes me nervous to see a hdd 'nekkid'. But considering the variety/number hdd's I have to check/transfer data, my fumble fingers, and my complete lack of success at directly connecting any two computers together via cross ethernet or usb a dock is just what I need.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Good, appreciate the feedback...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Has anyone seen a dock where the ide drive sits in the dock?

Before I purchase one of the docks in the above links, has anyone seen a dock where the ide drive sits in the dock like the sata drives in the pics? I haven't seen any in my searches, so I'm thinking it's not technically easy/advisable/possible. Too hard to attach the cables/requires air circulation or something? It looks from the pics like the ide drives attach on the sides and just sit on the desk.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

I purchased the Startech USB 2.0 to SATA IDE Adapter. It is just the adapter set w/out a box. Most of the docks I could find that you set the drive in a cradle-like box are for sata drives. A couple had ide connection on the side. Since the ide's will sitting on the desk anyway, I decided to go for the cheaper solution. The startech "includes all necessary interface and power connectors" to connect either ide or sata to usb 2.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

Thanks hamluis,

When I came across a dock searching I thought no. It always makes me nervous to see a hdd 'nekkid'. But considering the variety/number hdd's I have to check/transfer data, my fumble fingers, and my complete lack of success at directly connecting any two computers together via cross ethernet or usb a dock is just what I need.

Since HDDs are sealed, there shouldn't be a concern that the HDD is "nekkid". Just make sure you don't let something conductive touch the traces of the drive's logic card while powered up!

I have a SATA only dock and it works great.

Edited by strolln, 09 April 2010 - 01:05 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Thanks strolln,

My startech adapter came in and I'm planning on checking out the SATA drives today. But the SATAs should go right back in the chassis once I've checked to see if there's any data accessible on them, so I didn't really need a SATA dock. I have several PATAs out of chassis to work w/ and it would have been nice to have a box to set them in while I've got them connected to a computer. I have a carpenter friend who might be able to make me a box to prop them up in so they're up off the desk.

I know the platters are tightly sealed x for that little air hole, but I've always treated my HDDs like fragile china. Also noticed that the techs who've helped me now and then don't.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users