Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is legal...right?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....cription=33-173

well there was another adapter at the bottom for the PC. im guessing theyre out of it right now or something.

um. anyway. i guess my neighbor or something has an unprotected (no pw needed) router that reaches my house. friends labtop works in my house.

i was thinking about puting one of those cards in my computer and geting some free broadband. theres no DSL abvailable in my area and i am not going to pay $50 to the greedy dirty cable monopoly.

i heard thats not illegal. its not like u have to try very hard to hack anything. i mean, its right there. just connect to it. so i just wanna know if we're cool on this b4 i ask any further questions.

ok fine. just 1 more quick q. would doing that cause harm to the other computer. like would it slow the other person down? cable is fast. i dont want to harm anyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

If you use someone elses internet connection without their knowledge and consent that is stealing just like it would be if you took their car under the same conditions. Any activity that goes through his connection is logged under his account by his ISP also. And yes it will slow their connection.

His router will show the ip address of any computer connected to it in case he cares to check. Do you neighbour a favour and tell him he needs to encrypt his connection.

Edited by Leurgy, 14 September 2005 - 10:00 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:03 PM

hmm...

you're scaring me. :thumbsup:

that is not what i wanted to hear.

EDIT: i do know this someone who wouldnt mind sharing his/her connection. put the problem is i think im just out of reach. here is a pic.

Posted Image

i think it comes very CLOSE to reaching the inside of my house. but doesnt quite make it. is there anything we can do to do something about this?

Edited by Mr_Freeware, 14 September 2005 - 10:11 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

Removed

Edited by acklan, 15 September 2005 - 01:17 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:38 AM

However, doing so would probably violate his terms of service agreement with his ISP.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:22 AM

You can not use someone's bandwidth without permission, no matter if it's wifi or ethernet and wide open, its illegal.

Although, if you have permission to tap onto another person's wifi network, then its not illegal.
Posted Image

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:31 AM

Although, if you have permission to tap onto another person's wifi network, then its not illegal.

If you are in his house, OK, but if you are next door, it is probably techically against the ISP's terms of service. Using your neighbors broadband connection via wifi is no different than running a cable between houses to share cable TV signals.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

I agree with Derfram....may want to check the TOS. Its not something that will probably land you in jail, but you may have problems with the ISP afterwards. Its best to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users