Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi All and what do forum symbols mean?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mc Barnes

Mc Barnes

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hello everyone! What a great website ... I've learned a lot by reading here.

I can't seem to find information anywhere in help sections about what the orange & white square means when it is placed next to a topic in the forums.

I posted my computer problem in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware & removal logs forum and I'm curious why I don't have the half orange/half white square next to my posting like most of the other people do? Also, my suitcase symbol next to the topic appears broken (it has a jagged corner). I read the directions before posting and think I did it right but I'm also lacking sleep due to my computer issue so who knows! I didn't want to ask in that forum because they say not to add another post before you've received a reply.

I do have a black oval symbol next to my topic... can someone tell me what that means?

Thanks for any insight you can provide me with! I'm just hoping these symbols are normal and that I didn't do something wacky that will postpone a response.

thanks,
Mc Barnes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hello Mc Barnes,

I will try to answer your questions. The orange square with the white corner, if you click it will just take you to the last unread post, or reply in your topic. If you roll over it with the mouse you will see it says goto last unread. If you have read the topic and there are no new replies then you will not see the orange square. I am afraid I do not know what you are referring to when you say a black oval next to your topic. I am wondering if your browser is not properly rendering the proper image and replaces it with the black oval. Without a screenshot I couldn't tell you.

As for the suitcases. There is a key, or legend explaining the different suitcase icons and what they mean. They are found inside each individual forums main page. If you click on the General Chat link on the main forum page inside there at the bottom of the page you will find this legend.

Posted Image

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Please take a few moments to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the forum works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There is a lot of very useful information there.

OH!! Maybe the little black oval is the paper clip, which indicates that an attachment is present in the topic. I bet that is what it is.

Edited by Pandy, 22 March 2010 - 06:15 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 Mc Barnes

Mc Barnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thanks Pandy!

I appreciate the info. I did see the legend for the suitcases but mine looked like it had a bite out of one corner, which I didn't see on the legend. Maybe I've just been on the road too long!

Mc Barnes

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:43 AM

You are very welcome Mc Barnes, good luck to you.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:57 AM

Now that Pandy has answered your question, please allow me to join her in welcoming you to BC!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Mc Barnes

Mc Barnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thanks John,

Appreciate the welcome!

There's a wealth of great information on this site. I really appreciate it as a resource.

Mc Barnes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users