Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

transfering backed up files between computers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1SG.Bill

1SG.Bill

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

I have an old e-machine with XP and I have a passport external drive that I backed up the entire computer on.
I just got a new Asus computer with windows 7 (64).
Can I just hook up the passport external drive and transfer a bunch of files onto the new computer?
Or is the information only available to a machine with XP os?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

It depends on what you define as "a bunch of files". If you are referring to documents, music, photos, etc...yes, you can copy them to any computer you wish and open/modify/etc them.

What you cannot do is copy programs from one computer to another. I've seen people try to just copy their Program Files from their old computer to a new computer, and then they wonder why they don't work. There is more to your programs than just those program files you see (lots of registry stuff, too).

So if all you want to do is copy your data (documents, music, etc.), then, yes, you can do that. But if you want your programs on the new machine, you will have to install them like normal. And if your old XP programs are fussy when installing, try Compatibility Mode.

Does that answer your question? :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 1SG.Bill

1SG.Bill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

Yes this answers my question, thank you.
All I want is data. Pictures, documents etc. I don't want to copy or move the programs.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

All righty, then!

If you have any more questions/problems with Windows 7, feel free to create another topic describing your situation.

And Welcome to Bleeping Computer!! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users