Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow download speed on 1 computer fast on others?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

On my new computer the download speed (broadband) is the crawl of 0.81Mb/sec.using speedtest.net. At the time of test the computer was doing no 'work'. I noticed this slowness when downloading a driver update which was at .89Mb/sec.
Another time when downloading a program it was at .196Mb/sec. Now it is a consistent 0.81 Mbps.

At the same time of the test on three other computers all using the same tester, the same ISP, the same router, the same telephone line in the same house the speed is 2.01Mb/sec. which is the usual speed here.

The fact that they all use XP and have differing hardware should make no difference I think - if I'm wrong I can supply those details. This new computer has a much higher specification than the others but again would this make a difference?

I have done virus and malware scans.

Can anyone explain what could be causing this and how I can fix this please? I can't think of any other relevant info to include at this point.

OS XP Pro
PC Tools AV
Zone Alarm Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

Concentrate on the link between your computer and the router. Replace the cable if it is a wired connection. Use the cable from one of the working systems to test. Also use the same port as one of the fast systems.

If no change, swap the network card or check for updated drivers or chipset drivers if the ethernet connector is on the mainboard
Your router may also have QOS settings that give priority to one or more computers based on ip or MAC address.

Are all the computers wired connections?

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for your response.

Only my landlord's one computer and one of mine are connected at any one time. We only use RJ45 cables to connect.
I have checked the cable by swapping it around to the different computers which makes no difference- the same ones are slow and fast.
For some days the speed has been 0.81Mbps but today it has increased to a constant 1.08 on both my new PC and this laptop.
The speed on my old PC is the same as my landlord's - 2.1Mbps both of which are at least 6 years old having the old drivers. Our router has also been working well for about 4 years and I have tried swapping our cable into different ports with no difference.
I wonder if going back to factory settings would solve this but I don't fancy this yet if I can avoid it.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for your response.

Only my landlord's one computer and one of mine are connected at any one time. We only use RJ45 cables to connect.
I have checked the cable by swapping it around to the different computers which makes no difference- the same ones are slow and fast.
For some days the speed has been 0.81Mbps but today it has increased to a constant 1.08 on both my new PC and this laptop.
The speed on my old PC is the same as my landlord's - 2.1Mbps both of which are at least 6 years old having the old drivers. Our router has also been working well for about 4 years and I have tried swapping our cable into different ports with no difference.
I wonder if going back to factory settings would solve this but I don't fancy this yet if I can avoid it.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Are the other computers downloading things at the same time?

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:44 PM

The download speeds were measured on only one connected to the internet computer at a time but I have found something out which seemingly is not known even to speedtest.net as they have asked me to check out something for them. It seems strange if in fact they have not encountered this phenomenon - and you can try it yourself.

I realised that my slow download speeds were all done on IE8 but the fast ones were done using Google Chrome! Also by doing many tests I see that the results can be wildly different.

My ISP delivers on my package 2.00Mbps but I did get one result of 9.72! Also it didn't matter much from where the server was - from NY, LA, Irkutsk,Naples etc. as fast from a near one as a far one.

Perhaps you have even different browsers so try the speed tests out and post what you find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users