Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DAM WINDOWS 7 LOST MY FILES PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jay_jay_01

Jay_jay_01

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

HI
could some please help me asap
basically long story short i installed windows 7 and thought i would create a system image of my files to use as a back up in case anything happens. it started to create the image but a blue screen appeared with STOP:C0000135 and nothing else so i restarted my pc tried to create the system image again however my partition wasnt there so i went to my computer and noticed the name changed on the partition to local disk (i had it named differently before) now when i click on it it says do you want to format, i don;t want to because all my uni work is on there and thats why i was trying to back it up, when i click on this appears
H:\ not accessible
data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I NEED HELP PLEASE ANYONE MY UNI WORK IS ON THERE WHICH I NEED

WHEN I CLICK PROPERTIES IT COMES UP AS HDD SPACE/CAPACITY 0KB

i have tried to use the partition data recovery however it is too complicated it came up with like 30 partitions all in small files i only have a couple of partition where did 30 come from
basically i believe the partition has gone back to its raw form however being a ntfs, well that was what it was before, it should be recoverable shouldn't it. also the hdd is new about a month or 2 old so it shouldn't have that data error (cyclic redundancy check) problem etc

also i think the boot sector is messed up stopping it from recognizing the data on it, but thats what i think and im not an expert but hopefully all this info will help someone fix it without losing my data

can someone please help asap
i would be so grateful and would appreciate any, any advice at all
thank you

Edited by Jay_jay_01, 22 March 2010 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jay_jay_01

Jay_jay_01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:56 AM

yesterday when i logged on to windows 7 a error came up saying there is a chance of the hard drive failing, its only ruffly 2 months old how could that be, what i need help with is recoverying my data from the partition harddrive that asks to be formatted as thats where all my work is
BEFORE THE HARDRIVE FAILS PLEASE HELP BEFORE MY WORK IS LOST FOREVER
can somebody help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

A hard drive can fail right out of the box, much like a freshly replaced light bulb can burn out the first time the switch is flipped. Judging by the error messages that you are encountering, the hard drive is failing, and there is nothing you can do about it. You really have three choices. One, if the data is really irreplacable, then quit messing with it, take it into a computer repair shop and let them get the data for you. Two, use a Linux live distro, and see if you can access your file system that way. Third, take the time to learn to use the recovery software because it is not something that can be taught, and we really can't tell you how to do it because it is an in depth process.

If it were me, my first option would be to use a Live Linux disk.

#4 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Can't say I agree with Groove guy's Linux idea but anyway - you have learned the most valuable lesson in being a computer user: Have backups, make them current, and redundancy is even better. I have two copies on two different detached hard drives, of my critical data.

I would put the drive in another computer and try to read the files.... first. Then if that does not work send it in to a company that does data recovery on dead drives.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

At least you didn't pick on my counting. :huh:

The reason I recommend something like KNOPPIX is because then the hard drive never gets touched at all. (I did say a Live distro). That reduces the chance of further degrading the disk by simply turning on the power.

As far as backups, I concur. Consider using Live Mesh perhaps?

#6 Jay_jay_01

Jay_jay_01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:56 AM

i thing was the hd drive was new thats why i was making a backup copy in the first place my real problem is that my partition after the blue screen asks me to format my pc with data in that partition and it is only for that partition , the rest of the hardrive partitions are fine is there anyway i can open that partition and recover my data i.e. through the live distro which groovicus has suggested

thank you for your advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users