Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanently deleting files from computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LBM

LBM

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

Okay, I was just reading a previous forum on deleting files; however, that seems very detailed and harsh. My husband is leaving a place of employment and needs to remove his personal info from his computer without destroying the computer. Has anyone used Micosoft's SDelete (I think that is it) for this? The Darik Nuke and Boot (not sure that is the exact name) seems to be very detailed and I'm not sure I can walk him through that. He has files in his MS Word that need to be permanently removed, and I guess log in information on certain accounts he has accessed online, i.e. banking, etc. Any suggestions as to what to use that is "user friendly" for someone who isn't real computer saavy? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Might do what you need. Read the info at the home page and see.

Here is an older discussion of the program in BC.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59767/ccleaner/

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

You can use Eraser : http://eraser.heidi.ie/
This will wipe files and make them unrecoverable.
For login information in browsers, clean your account information using CCleaner with secure file deletion and wipe free disk space enabled.

The best method is to wipe the whole user account.
If your husband has admin access, then he can login as admin, remove his user account without deleting the related files. Then wipe the whole user profile folder with Eraser. This would wipe the whole user profile folder, which contains user's browser history, saved passwords, other documents etc. If your husband has saved documents in another location other than the user profile, then he would have to wipe them too.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi Romeo29 -

I prefer the program you mention - I sold one on EBay and used this to clear all programs - It seemed to work Very well -
As far as I know there was nothing at all left after giving this a good run -

Like that one - :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users