Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to watch streaming video

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

Hi,
I started this topic in the Protection methods forum under the title "cannot watch You-tube, Hulu" last week.
To summarize, I have a new-to-me desktop computer.
It seems to work well but I cannot watch streaming video.
If i try to watch it via Firefox the Firefox program completely shuts down. If i ask it to restart, it will, and bring back all the windows that were shut down. But when the video starts, the program shuts down again. With Explorer the internet connection breaks off when video tries to start.

I am familiar with watching streaming video with both Firefox and Explorer on my laptop but I want to be able to do this on the new desktop.

Details:
Pentium 4
XP Pro
Avast free
Zonealarm Free
Malwarebytes
Spwareblaster
Firefox

I need some step-by-step advice.
Thanks!
Firetooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:39 AM

First, I'd say check the machine for a virus. A lot of people will dump a computer for a new one when they get infected.

Second, you could have a corrupt plug-in. I'd uninstall Firefox, Restore IE to defaults (from the Internet Options/Advanced dialog), run Windows updates, and try again. If it works, go ahead and download/reinstall Firefox, as you've found your culprit. If not, post a response and I can help you dig deeper.

I apologize for any typing errors, I'm doing this from my phone.

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for ideas. I have checked thoroughly for viruses and malware and do not think this is the problem. I bought the computer from reputable non-profit computer recycling center. I have scanned it several times with various programs, even more than listed here, since a virus was my first thought.

As far as Firefox plug-ins, I don't think that is the problem because a similar problem happens in Explorer (I have 7).
Aside from Explorer, files in computer are up-to-date, including all Windows files. Do Explorer and Firefox use the same plug-ins across browsers? if so, you might be right that it is a plug-in problem. They are all updated. In reading how to uninstall Firefox it was a bit complicated, so I would rather not do it unless I have to.

Other data:
I was able to watch a short streaming video from a british sports website (with Firefox) audio and video, no problems. When tried Hulu, same problem of shutdown, likewise a video on You-tube.

CD player works fine (WMP).

DVD player works fine with a music CD (WMP)
When tried to play a movie there was great video but no audio. (WMP).

So I seem to have 2 problems, the streaming video and now no sound on my DVD with a movie.
(There is a third problem, too: I accidentally disabled access to the DVD player and the drive icon is gone. I posted this under external hardware.)

I don't know enough to know if any of these problems are related.
My sense is that this computer was owned by a gamer who had a serious sound system at one time. There is a program for Cyberlink PowerDVD which I cannot access; presumably the paid key is long expired. But the WMP loads fine except for no sound with at least the movie I tried. Can't try another until i get my DVD icon restored.

My first priority is the streaming video issue, though.

Firetooth

Edited by Firetooth, 22 March 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#4 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

As for your DVD drive, you can go into device manager and reenable it.
The sound issue, as well as your streaming issued could come from faulty plugins or codecs. I recommend trying the my default settings method (Firefox and IE do share some plugins). Alternatively, try downloading a new codec pack (try download.com or some other reputable freeware site), reboot and try again.

#5 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

update:
1. dvd icon and access restored. thank you!!
2. defaulted to explorer as browser and all defaults in explorer done. all updates done in windows already via auto updates.
3. tried to watch you-tube and hulu.
a streaming ad came up first on you-tube, worked.
but when the video started on either you-tube or hulu Explorer closed. easy to reopen but closed again when video started as before.

meanwhile, I did download the codec file from File Hippo but it was pretty complicated for me to use.
Willing to do if get more help knowing which boxes to check and uncheck.

Firetooth
ps: compared all plugins and extensions on my laptop and desktop. all versions of everything on the desktop are more up-to-date than on the laptop.
laptop has additional plug-ins:
abacast firefox plugin disabled
abacast netscape plugin disabled
adobe get plus disabled
move streaming media player

and additional extensions:
adobe dlm disabled
move media player 7 disabled

Edited by Firetooth, 22 March 2010 - 04:41 PM.

#6 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Today's progress report:
late last night with the great help and moral support of dividebyzero over at techspot, i installed the k-lite mega codec pac. The result is that another of my problems is solved--I can now get sound on my dvd player with a movie. (dividebyzero asked me to use the defaults in the installation, which I did.)

This morning I was thinking about the difference between my laptop and desktop and remember that I have Videolan installed on the laptop. So I installed it on the desktop.

Result? No change. Both Firefox and Explorer still crash if I try to watch a video on either you-tube or Hulu. short advertisements still usually play.

but now at least the step of getting the codecs installed is done.

Still looking for a solution.

Thanks!
Firetooth

ps: more info. it occurred to me to see if netflix online worked. I was sure it wouldn't. It works fine! (using Firefox, which works better for the limited access I have, such as watching short advertisements.) Well, sound is a little soft, which is problem on computer as a whole. but it streams fine.
so the question is, what is the difference between netflix and Hulu?

Edited by Firetooth, 23 March 2010 - 02:07 PM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

Youtube & Hulu use Flash. Netflix uses Silverlight. Maybe Flash is corrupted. Let's find out. Uninstall Flash using the tool at this link and then reinstall a fresh copy.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#8 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:16 PM

I agree with Frank. Try uninstalling Flash, and downloading a fresh copy direct from Adobe.
Also, I've had good luck with the "Media Player Codec Pack" from download.com
Give that a shot, it has lots of goodies, and plays damned near anything. I use it for wipe-and-load customers who no longer have their OEM media player app discs, and it works like a charm.

#9 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Thank you frank and Twisted Image!
I will try these things tonight and let you know the results.

gratefully,
Firetooth

#10 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

okay, here I am. Should I download the beta version of Adobe flash or the non-beta version?

#11 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:32 AM

I uninstalled using the link by Frank.
Downloaded a fresh version from Adobe. Installed. Have the best streaming video I have ever seen! It is crystal clear for Hulu and you-tube.
in short, PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thank you both so much for your help!!!

Yet another total success thanks to the great folks at BleepingComputer!

With great appreciation,

Firetooth

#12 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

Glad to hear it!

#13 frankp316

frankp316