Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

disk read error, won't boot into Windows XP CD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 amanda hoover

amanda hoover

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:32 AM

Okay, so i am at a total loss as to what to do. I have a backup Dell Inspirion laptop running Windows XP Pro. The battery is dead, so when i was rearranging my office i forgot about that and unplugged it (which then shut it down improperly). When I started it back up, it says "disk read error ... press ctl alt del". I then restarted it and tried to get into safe mode or some recovery/repair options but none of the F keys work (except F2, which just takes me to BIOS). Next I set BIOS to boot from CD and tried to restart with the Windows XP CD. It proceeded as normal, and said press enter to boot from disk ... then i can hear the disk working, but only a black screen shows, it won't boot up. I let it run like that for a while hoping it would start but it didn't.

I also tried one of the Ultimate Boot Disks, which it did boot into, but it didn't give me any chkdsk options. Tried XP CD again but still would not work. Also, i noticed that the up arrow, and a lot of the keys on the top row did not work (i.e. r, i, etc). I guess my next attempt will be to boot into a Knoppix/Linux live CD and 1) transfer my data out, if hopefully it's still there. 2) see if i can get to a command prompt to run chkdsk or scandisk etc. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this. I just installed a new hard drive (250 GB) a couple months ago, and formatted it as NTFS. Please Help ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

IMO, worth reading: Disk Read Error.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users