Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Crash shlwapi.dll faulting module

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 farnk

farnk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

I have a Dell XPS 600 ( XP Pro SP3 )& upgraded my CPU from dual core to dual core w/hyperthreading (Intel D965 3.7 Mhz).
, some time afterwards I got BSOD's mostly due to ntdll.dll & shlwapi.dll.
Now BSOD are very few but, Explorer has encountered a problem & must close (shlwapi.dll faulting module), is happening frequently.
It happens in MS Search and XPlorerXP.
I have lost many Folders in Documents and Settings/ (it's unusable), but XPlorerXP (3 party explorer can see them)
Mostly I have suspected hardware/driver/software issues, and uninstalled almost all software & updated drivers,
and I have done on-line virus scans (TrenMicro, F-Secure) , HiJackThis also ESET scan - all come up clean.
I used (3) Sysinternals programs have done minor clean-up and analysis.
However yesterday I ran Combofix & it quarantined 4 files :

Thumbs.db.vir
aabeaafadfc_d.dll.vir
winhelp.ini.vir
Install.exe.vir

Programs that run OK are Word97, Excel97, Paint, Powerpoint, Notepad, Firefox, MS Update, Outlook Express ,DeviceMgr etc.

One major problem is that I do not have Dell recovery CD's with this off-lease computer I bought, so format & reinstall is not possible.
At this point in time I do not know if I can use my XP Pro CD to do a "repair" install instead of a reformat on a Dell system.

I have the ComboFix log, but I'm not supposed to post it until asked.

NB. I may very well have a CPU compatibility problem, but wish to rule out malware.

Hopefully ComboFix came up with false positives.

I've had this problem for several months and have been limping along.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Edited by Orange Blossom, 23 March 2010 - 10:32 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users