Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory slowed down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

I recently added 2 more sticks of ram to my computer raising the total from 4gigs to 8. When testing my memory bandwidth with Sandra afterwords it had dropped from 7.9GBs to 6.4GBs. When I took the 2 new sticks out and left the 2 original in and reran Sandra it was still 6.4GBs? Also when I look at the memory total in System settings it says 8GB(3.25 usable). Anyone have an idea why this happened?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

it says 8GB(3.25 usable)

I assume, it's 32-bit system?
If so, you wasted your money, buying anything over 4GB.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:52 AM

To add to Broni's comment, if you want to have full access to 8GB of memory, you'll have to install a 64-bit operating system.

As for the performance issue, it's hard to say, but the memory controller on some motherboards doesn't have sufficient current drive to operate a full memory complement at full speed, and will slow down. It may be that the configuration data is not being updated when the extra memory is removed. Some BIOS have an option to force an update, maybe called "Reset Configuration Data", or "Force ESCD Update". If you find this in the BIOS setup options, enabling it may restore the original memory speed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'll check out the BIOS for that option, thank you. I'm running x64 Windows7 Ultimate so the 4gig restriction shouldn't apply. Any other ideas?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

A lot of people report their 64-bit OS not accessing full memory complement until the Memory Remap option is enabled in the BIOS.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

<<When I took the 2 new sticks out and left the 2 original in and reran Sandra it was still 6.4GBs>>

I'd say that SSS is unreliable, in that case.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users