Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

checking nvram freeze with brand new graphics card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 studlyrocker1234

studlyrocker1234

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:54 PM

just recently purchased an nvidia xfx geforce 210 graphics card...installed it and my computer will go past the motherboard logon screen i can enter bios but it will get to a point where it says checking nvram...status ok! and then freeze. sometimes it will freeze before it says status ok it will freeze at checking nvram then nothing else happens. my computer is an alhena gl6 motherboard made by hp. i have 2 gigs of ram. intel celeron processor 3.2 ghz. at first i thought it was my power supply because i only had a 300watt supply but now i have a 450 watt supply in and still no luck. the minimum required for the card is a 350 watt supply so i should have plenty with a 450. the computer meets all requirements for this card it just wont work!! i just put this computer together and i had a really old crappy 16mb video card i was using in it before i bought a good one to make sure everything functioned properly..pc works great with the old crappy nvidia 16mb card but the new card wont boot windows...any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 studlyrocker1234

studlyrocker1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

i have posted this question on probably 20 forums today with no response at all...someone has got to know why it wont work. is it not compatible? it should be...im so frustrated with this problem that shouldnt even occur in the first place..ha

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 studlyrocker1234

studlyrocker1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

i cant get the computer to boot up with the card in so i cant download the drivers for it. the onboard video doesnt work on my motherboard either it is broken.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

I believe that nvram refers to your BIOS chip...in which case, I would replace the CMOS battery as an attempted fix.

A weak CMOS battery has been known to cause BIOS problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users