Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems connecting to internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 mjman263

mjman263

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hello!

I am trying to fix a friends computer that is having problems. He clicked on a link that was sent to him on Facebook saying it was a YouTube video. It wasn't!

I have done scans with Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware. Both scans came up with infections and after fixing the infections they both say the system is clean, but the system cannot connect to the internet through IE or get AVG updates (AVG says the update file is missing). I ran Rootkit Buster and it found no problems. I have also run Winsockxpfix and have had no luck.

Here is the log file from Hijack This:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.3 (BETA)
Scan saved at 8:43:22 PM, on 3/21/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16981)
Boot mode: Normal

{EDIT: Removed HJT log~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 21 March 2010 - 07:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi, I removed the HJT log as we post them in a different forum. If needed I'lll instruct you..
Let's see if one of these 2 steps will fix it.

For the connection....
Try this--open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...."
OR
Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mjman263

mjman263
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hi boopme

Sorry about posting the log here. This is my first post, usually I can fix virus and worm problems myself but nothing seems to work with this one!

I followed your instructions and the system still cannot connect.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

It's OK, if these don't work then we post the Log.

Please go to Start -> Control Panel, and choose Network Connections. Then right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and left click on properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically. Click OK twice, and restart your computer.

LSP-Fix
Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss of Internet access
LSP-Fix Home Page
Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers

Microsoft KB article to reset TCP/IP
One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.
Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original state by using the NetShell utility (netsh)
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

Posting a log...
please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic from step 9.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mjman263

mjman263
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

OK, I ran LSP Fix and it said "No problems found". These files were in the Keep column:

mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
rsvpsp.dll

Then I followed the instructions in the Microsoft KB article and that didn't work.

I will follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide and post a log.

Thanks for your guidance!!

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/304107/cannot-connect-to-internet/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users