Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connectors and ports

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J.C.

J.C.

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hello all,
I have one of those problems that has been bothering me a long time. Well before PCs came into being as we know them today the older generation like myself had what is called a 48k Sinclair Spectrum computer which we could program using Basic language. This used to be connected to a TV set using a coxial cable between the computer and the TV.
I still have one of these in working order complete with box and all attachments.
My question is ...How can I connect the Spectrum Computer coxial cable port to a Monitor DE15M VGA Connector (in place of a TV)?
Anybody has any idea how to go about it. can someone come up with a modification or bridging connection between the two points.Remember that a coxial cable has a core wire for signal and an outer braided wire for earth, while the VGA Connector has 15 pins (in actual fact 14th pin is missing, hence it has 14 pins).
Sorry guys, this is a hard one but to crack and I thank you in advance for your time spend on this brain storming.
J.C.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Twisted Image

Twisted Image

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

The easy (albeit conveluted) solution would be to get an older tvt card for your pc and route the older machine's signal through it. Or check out a computer show. There's always someone at a show who has homebrewed up adapters for damned near everything.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

No TVT cards for the Sinclair Spectrum, I'm afraid.

I never had a Sinclair, but I assume the coax cable carries a modulated signal on channel 3 or 4? If so, you might look for an electronics retailer who has such a converter.

Seriously, though, if this is the case (and you're in the States) you might want to go to a thrift store like the Salvation Army or Good Will and check out a used analog TV. Since the conversion to digital broadcasting the thrift stores in my area have been flooded with analog TVs in great shape.

Edited by Capn Easy, 21 March 2010 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users