Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run exe files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bandera

bandera

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

Every time I try to run a program, it ask me "Choose an application to run this file with". Also, When I try to open Word, excel or other Microsoft application, "application not found" message shows up.

Thanks for your help in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hi bandera

Let's try this first and take it from there:

Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
If your AV program throws up a warning about the program, ignore the warning. Some AV's flag this program because of how it works... that's all.
  • Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
  • A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
  • Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt ( Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com and should open at the end of the scan)
Note : If the window shows a message that says "Error deleting file", please re-run the program before posting a log - and post the two logs together ( they will both be in the one file ).

In your next reply, please submit:
exehelperlog.txt

Thanks.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 bandera

bandera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately, My computer could not let my down load exehelper on to my desktop. It was giving telling me that "i don't have enough memory or could not load the file". Also Norton warning 'Torjan virus detected" came up. I tried to down load on my flash drive in same coputer but didn't work due to same warning.
Then I used my Laptop and down loaded file in to the Laptop. Copied file from Laptop to Flash drvie and from flash drive to infected PC but file from flash drive was disapearing in few seconds and Norton security warning was coming up. Do you have clue to go around it?

Thanks

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Turn off Norton Security.
Then try again.

If your AV program throws up a warning about the program, ignore the warning. Some AV's flag this program because of how it works... that's all.

Read here for information on how to stop Norton:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114351/how-to-temporarily-disable-your-anti-virus-firewall-and-anti-malware-programs/

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users