Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vio Laptop Battery Replacement

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jump Master

Jump Master

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:47 PM

The original battery for my old/dated Sony Vaio laptop (model VGN-A790) (battery type PCGA-BP2EA 11.1V/4000mAh) finally crapped out. I ordered a generic replacement from a known supplier (replacement battery type PCGA-BP2E 11.1V/4400mAh/49wh). After I received the battery, I popped it into the laptop -power supply and immediately got the following warning:
The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with the computer. Click OK to place the computer into hibernate and remove the battery.
I followed the instructions and removed the battery. I spoke with the vender who told me that my laptop was an older model and the suggested replacement battery was the one they shipped. I was also told that that as long as they both have the same voltage (11.1V) the difference in the mAh (original 4000mAh – replacement 4400mAh/49Wh) will not make a difference and is safe to use.
I double checked this answer with 2 very well known computer sellers and received 2 different answers.
I them called Sony Tech support and was told I must purchase a Sony battery with the exact voltage and or my computer will be damaged beyond repair.
My issue is I feel I am being forced down the “Propriety” road with Sony Corp. who intends to push their products regardless of the customer’s thoughts. The Sony replacement battery is twice as expensive as the generic ($200.00 plus shipping vice $115.00 with free shipping.)
Can anyone tell me truly what reality is? If the fright answer happens to be go with the generic battery, how can I get rid of the warning (stated above) or perhaps a work around. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sony Vaio Laptop
Model Number: VGN-A790
Windows XP Home Addition with Service Pack 3
Processor: Intel Pentium M 2GHz
RAM 1 GB

v/r
Jump Master[

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

This discussion might help.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/818018-...compatible.html
http://www.amazon.com/VGP-BPL2-Compatible-...y/dp/B000RWINNW
Sony is dedicated to not allowing any repair or replacement to be done unless they get a cut of it. Every sony device I have ever owned was more expensive to repair than to replace.

The battery may be defective too. The specs seem to be exact enough. If you disable the utility that gives the message, and the battery still does not charge, you should return it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users