Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator access not recognized

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mmahamm

mmahamm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

I have purchased and downloaded Turbotax 2009. When I double-click the archive file to unpack and install, I get a message that says "Sorry but your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements for TurboTax 2009." followed by "Administrator rights."

I did a search on this forum, to refresh my memory on Administrator rights,then did the following:
  • I went to control panel and confirmed that the one account on the machine that is not the administrator itself, "Owner," has administrator rights.
  • I created a second account, "Michael," and gave it Administrator rights.
  • I restarted in Safe mode, and logged in as the administrator, and revoked and then restored Administrator rights to both "Owner" and "Michael." Restarted in normal mode, and tried installing as both. Same result.
  • I restarted in Safe mode, and set a password for the Administrator.
  • I restarted in Normal mode, and right clicked on the archive file, and selected "Run as," and clicked the radio button next to Administrator, and entered the newly-created password. Same result.
  • Finally, I restarted in Safe mode, and logged in as the administrator, then double-clicked the archive file. Same result.
I have run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (quick scan), and I am now getting ready to run the full scan and go do something else for a few hours.

I am at my wits' end. I have paid $50 for this software that will not install on my machine no matter what I do. There is lots of help here, but none of it seems to fit the problem. I have been able to update Windows, and other topics appear to apply to specific software issues, such as using Windows Live or Messenger or things like that.

Any ideas?

Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036 : Service Pack 3)

Attached Files

Edited by mmahamm, 21 March 2010 - 01:30 PM.

-Michael

Centreville, VA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

Try using "control userpasswords2" without the quotes in Start > Run and check there.

#3 mmahamm

mmahamm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

Both "Michael" and "Owner" are shown as being in the "Administrators" group as well as the "Users" group. I am going to remove "Michael" from the "Users" group and make him an administrator only and see if that helps, though it would seem to me it shouldn't.

(edit...2 minutes later): Same result.

Attached Files

Edited by mmahamm, 21 March 2010 - 07:15 PM.

-Michael

Centreville, VA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users