I did a search on this forum, to refresh my memory on Administrator rights,then did the following:
- I went to control panel and confirmed that the one account on the machine that is not the administrator itself, "Owner," has administrator rights.
- I created a second account, "Michael," and gave it Administrator rights.
- I restarted in Safe mode, and logged in as the administrator, and revoked and then restored Administrator rights to both "Owner" and "Michael." Restarted in normal mode, and tried installing as both. Same result.
- I restarted in Safe mode, and set a password for the Administrator.
- I restarted in Normal mode, and right clicked on the archive file, and selected "Run as," and clicked the radio button next to Administrator, and entered the newly-created password. Same result.
- Finally, I restarted in Safe mode, and logged in as the administrator, then double-clicked the archive file. Same result.
I am at my wits' end. I have paid $50 for this software that will not install on my machine no matter what I do. There is lots of help here, but none of it seems to fit the problem. I have been able to update Windows, and other topics appear to apply to specific software issues, such as using Windows Live or Messenger or things like that.
Windows XP Media Center Edition, Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036 : Service Pack 3)
Edited by mmahamm, 21 March 2010 - 01:30 PM.