Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BitDefender update cripples 64-bit versions of Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

A devastating update by BitDefender was released on Saturday for their anti-virus engine that has caused crippling problems for users of x64, or 64-bit, versions of Windows. This update has caused BitDefender to flag Windows system files and BitDefender files as the Trojan.FakeAlert.5 infection. Depending on a users action settings for when a virus is found, this has led to numerous Windows system files being added to the BitDefender quarantine. When this happens, these computers are not able to boot into Windows.

As reported in a monstrous 63 page topic created yesterday at the BitDefender forums, users of 64-bit Windows stated that BitDefender was suddenly flagging their clean and required Windows system files as the Trojan.FakeAlert.5 infection. If a user had their scan settings to automatically quarantine infected files, these files would then be automatically moved to BitDefender's quarantine. As many of these files are Windows system files that are required for Windows to operate correctly, Windows would no longer function or became unbootable.

BitDefender has issued a press release describing what happened and information about a patch that can be downloaded that will restore all the quarantined files back to the normal locations. Unfortunately for many people this patch won't work as they are unable to start Windows in order to run this program. If this is the case, then BitDefender is suggesting that you first start Windows using your Windows CD and perform a repair on their Windows directory. The Windows repair process will replace all of the missing Windows system files that are missing so that you can then start Windows. Once Windows is started they want you to run the patch to restore any quarantined files. For more detailed information about this procedure, please see this knowledgebase article on the procedure.

BitDefender has also stated that malware developers are already starting to take advantage of this chaos. These malware writers are creating sites that masquerade as legitimate ones that offer solutions with their own patches. When you visit these sites, though, they will instead show pop-ups or fake online scanners that state you are infected and try to push rogue software on you. An example that was found with the search keyword bitdefender FakeAlert.5 can be seen below.

The rogue associated with the above online scanner is Cleanup Antivirus, which will do nothing to help you with your computer problems. Therefore, if you are affected by the BitDefender update, please go directly to the BitDefender site and download the patch from there. Do not download any software from other sites that claim it would fix the BitDefender issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beenthere

Beenthere

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

Totally unacceptable

Edited by Beenthere, 21 March 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#3 gorydragon

gorydragon

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

i agree, this is totally unacceptable. not cool.

#4 RalucaD

RalucaD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

Hi guys, I am Raluca, from BitDefender.

Just wanted to let you know that we are very sorry for the problems that our update may have caused.
We have already solved the problem for many of our users and we are definitely trying to do the same for all other affected users. The first recommendations we have are those that Grinler posted, for the moment.

However, if there are any unexpected situations, please contact our support team directly via email, chat, phone or forum at http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main/contactEmail/

For emergency situations, please send an e-mail to bitsy@bitdefender.com or post your issue in this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

raluca

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:27 PM

Wow...that is slightly shocking. :thumbsup:

I hope everybody that was affected gets back up and running soon.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thanks for that post RalucaD.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

Eek. That's not good; especially if you are not tech-savy, and don't know how to get help to fix it. Its sad that some updates, which are supposed to make the product better, can cause unexpected problems (I spent a good chunk of Monday fixing Windows Defender on my mom's Vista laptop). However, its good to see a rep from the company itself taking time to talk here on BC about fixing this problem. Thanks for taking the time, RalucaD.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

just recently i came across about 50 PAGES FROM GOOGLE all infected with this clean up anti virus haha. i never got infected but my avast really protected me!

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users