Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Periodic slowdown on anything but the simplest apps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcmonkey

jcmonkey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

To clarify the topic, I can run anything simply like a web browser or standard definition video just fine. However when I try anything more demanding like hd video or ANY sort of game it will run fine for awhile then the framerate will drop from 60 to about .5 or so for a little bit, then it'll stop briefly and continue repeating itself.

I have searched all over the internet and all I find is unanswered questions and people assuming that it's some sort of malware problem. I've tried just about every spyware/malware scan along with posting hijackthis logs and the problem stays, though swapping everything out to some older parts I have fixes the problem.

Mobo - Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
Cpu - Athlon x2 64 6000+
Graphics card - Geforce 9600gt

This was built awhile ago on a budget and I've regretted it since. I can safely say that the graphics card is not the problem as I've tried it on other rigs without issue. My friend has told me it's an overheating problem but I'd like to be sure before I go out spending money on a fix that might not work.

Edited by jcmonkey, 21 March 2010 - 03:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

Could very well be a power supply issue.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

Overheating...of the video card...or the system?

What steps have you taken to check either/both?

Louis

#4 jcmonkey

jcmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

Oh forgot I replaced the power supply not too soon after the problems started, since that was the first suggestion I got.

Also tried the graphics card on another computer with no problems. In addition I've used another graphics card on this system and the problem doesn't go away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users