Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 deaddybear

deaddybear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:17 PM

I am looking for an antivirus because I am tired of all that bleep that tries to infect my PC. So far I looked into Kaspersky Antivirus and McAfee Virus Scan. Which one is better or should I pick something entirely different?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

I use Avast home edition. It is free but you must register it. What I like is it has a screensaver that is also a virus scan .{so I can't forget to scan.}
Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

Another free anti-virus that many members have used is AVG. See: Antivirus & Trojan Removal in the pinned post listing free alternatives to commercial applications:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

The nice thing about free applications, outside of the great price, is that you can download, install, update and then try them out. If you don't like one, you can try another without having to spend a lot of money. Free versions may not have all the bells and whistles of paid anti-virus applications, but they are generally robust and do the basic job of protecting your computer.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

http://www.virusbtn.com/index

Take a look at the VB100% data.

Louis

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

AVG has a full (paid) verison that is only $32/2yrs. Iwas tired of paying a scrip to McAfee and have them ignore me when I had problems. I switched three years ago to AVG free edition and haven't looked back. I have 12 computers at the house 11 are running AVG Free Edition 7.0. The last is a server. AVG does not have a free verison for servers. About 8 to 10 times a month I talk people into ditching Norton or McAfee and making the switch to ACG Free Edition. In three years I have not heard a complant.

I run:

AVG Free Edition 7.0

MicroSoft Antispyware Beta

Spybot S&D 1.4

AdAware SE 1.6

This isn't perfect but it works well for me.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:54 AM

I had Panda and found out that as long as they have your money, they don't want to talk to you. I've been running AVG and like it enough that I would buy it if I had to.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,920 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2005 - 06:59 AM

To answer the specific question here. If you are going to pay for an AV and the choices are Kaspersky or McAfee, then by all means go with Kaspersky.

If you want a free AV, then either AVG or avast will do the job.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Halfman

Halfman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

Dr. Web Antivirus is pretty good. It doen't give any trouble to me

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:11 PM

Kaspersky also has a 30 day try before you buy feature as well. I personally have used Kaspersky for 2 years now and wouldn't change a thing. One caveat I might add is that Kaspersky is more memory intensive, than most other AV's. If you don't have at a minimum 512 of RAM I would not recommend it. You won't be happy, and should choose another AV. Additionally you might want to take a look at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ for additional information, on other AV's.

Be (AV-Comparative) Safe

Da Animal

p.s. Welcome to BC, :thumbsup: deaddybear

Edit: to add the welcome

Edited by Animal, 16 September 2005 - 06:29 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2005 - 12:26 AM

If you are willing to pay I'd defintely go with Kaspersky. From what I've been told they have the largest file database on viruses. However McAfee has the instant notice of new virues so I'd find it as a tossup.

#11 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:34 AM

For Peace of mind and a very good suit I recommend Zone Alarm Pro..... AV, SW, FW plus other stuff, and great controls.

It costs but is not expensive when you think of the hours spent disinfecting an infected machine and or the hassle of pop ups and cr*p like that.

I let ZAP run, and with the other recommended Anti Spywear stuff from BC I have had 18 months CLEAN Trouble Free. I find ZAP very good at Updates and it has found 2 viruses that were just hours old, certainly Norton nor McAffee had not reported them.

Of course SP2 and Microsoft Beta are free and are installed. Modzilla is good for a browser, but I run I.E and Modzilla and do not see much difference now. Don't get any rubbish from either. :thumbsup:

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 17 September 2005 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users